Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Firms urged to crack down on office football chat ..

What's Hot

Comments

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1542
    "Did you see that goal last night ? Nearly burst the "back of the Net" !!!! OOOH That reminds me i scored saturday night"

I blame Alan Partridge.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3827
    And anal intercourse. I'm fed up with bants about anal. FFS.
    I think that might have actually been "banal"...
    Or just people talking out of their arses. :)

There's actually a high probability of the latter, since I work from home 90% of the time.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Lewy said:
    As the BBC reports, almost everyone male and female has responded saying it’s a load of shit so it’s not the world going mad blah blah blah. It’s one person talking bollocks and everyone else saying it’s bollocks.

Everyone .. millions of people? Had a look and half a dozen people I'd say .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2248
    ICBM said:
    LuttiS said:
    At last year's appraisal I got marked down as having a  bad attitude for not joining in office 'conversations'...
    I work in an office full of women, as I didn't give a flying fuck about love island it was apparently an issue... 

So I joined in the conversations and gave my full opinion on the subject matter..  next appraisal is on Wednesday! 
    Did it contain the words ‘waste’ and ‘oxygen’?

And if so, did it apply to Love Island or the management...
    It included swearing and it finished with me alluding to my utter contempt for those who watched and discussed it at length. 

I'm a team player me. Can tick 'office banter' off on my objectives list.  
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    Let's ban makeup talk. Love Island, Strictly Come Dancing, Britan Got Talent, X- Factor, Soaps and any boy bands.

I feel left out because i don't watch any of that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716
    She should try our office, with the tin foil hat anti-vaxxer.

That leads to some interesting conversations.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4318
    No one and I mean no one in my work place objects to any of my chats about sports - Hang one there, I don't employ anyone !!!!
    Your chats with yourself about sport are basically excluding ALL other people. It's a disgrace and I think we need to raise awareness of this type of behaviour.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13674
    LuttiS said:
    At last year's appraisal I got marked down as having a  bad attitude for not joining in office 'conversations'...
    I work in an office full of women, as I didn't give a flying fuck about love island it was apparently an issue... 

So I joined in the conversations and gave my full opinion on the subject matter..  next appraisal is on Wednesday! 

You didn't call Love Island "tedious braindead shite that makes me bleed out my ears" did you?

Because if so, well done.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2248
    LuttiS said:

You didn't call Love Island "tedious braindead shite that makes me bleed out my ears" did you?

Because if so, well done.
    It was during a period of child related sleepless nights and generally being pissed off at everything. I probably said worse than that. But it was on managers orders to join in office conversation.

Currently writing up this year's appraisal, going through the framework line by line... It's a council so it's not a short document.. not going to be caught out this year :)

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    Strange. I thought the problem at work was that generally speaking the women talk far too much. 
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 567
    Never mind chat at work, "why oh why oh why"  :0)  is so much of the TV and radio news time taken up rattling on about sport at all? 

As my wife would say, (and I agree) "just a bunch of overpaid wankers chasing a ball about a field" I mean I'm sure that we could find tasks that these people could do that are actually useful to society,  like deliver stuff at reasonable speed whilst creating a modest carbon foot print.  

Ducks for cover!

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11668
    A few years ago my conversations about Big Brother and the like included things like "how can you watch that shit" and "I'd rather watch paint dry".

Sufficiently inclusive? 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30354
    She's head of CMI.
    How would she even know what the lowly droids are saying around the water cooler?
  • Football is an easy thing to talk about. If people aren't interested in football then you try to talk about other things.

If there's someone who has no common interests with any of their colleagues and therefore nothing to talk about, that says more about the individual than the workplace.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12657
    I am clueless around football, often the question"who do you support" kills further conversation. Bollocks to em.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    This should help any non footballers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f27IqVo5-Oc

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16654
    I think for some people football conversation is a substitute ( ha, wasn't intending a pun) for actual conversation. It's conversation similar to the way that little boys tell jokes or someone with autism might speak. It's rehearsed information, it's rehearsed opinions, there are clear expected emotional responses, it has a clear set of expectations, it rewards retention of knowledge more than it does creativity or genuine emotional content. It's a safe place for adults to communicate without actually having to share anything of themselves. 
    If you deny football conversations it's discrimination against the emotionally dyslexic. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716
    I think for some people football conversation is a substitute ( ha, wasn't intending a pun) for actual conversation. It's conversation similar to the way that little boys tell jokes or someone with autism might speak. It's rehearsed information, it's rehearsed opinions, there are clear expected emotional responses, it has a clear set of expectations, it rewards retention of knowledge more than it does creativity or genuine emotional content. It's a safe place for adults to communicate without actually having to share anything of themselves. 
    If you deny football conversations it's discrimination against the emotionally dyslexic. 

My wife would probably agree with you.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    Funnily enough our bass player is completely socially inept, he doesn't really speak to any of us and we all avoid car journeys with him as you end up just gabbling a load of drivel to fill the awkward silences. 
    The only times I've ever heard him have a controlled, confident 2-way conversation with anyone is when talking about Premiership football and especially his beloved Southampton. 

I also worked with a guy years ago who I found quietly sobbing when Leeds United were relegated. I thought it was silly until I realised that all of his communication and banter with his workmates was around football (the old "we've got your lot on Saturday" routine) and it dawned on him that he would no longer be a part of it all. 

Terrifying.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646

Back of the net.

You should have a wiz, then you could be over the moon.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom