A cased LP is heavy......

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 5037
Not usually much of a problem if you are only carrying it from the car to a gig but up that distance to a Kilometre and it becomes a different proposition entirely.  My Epi LP is heavy on its own and heavier still in a guitar case.  I expect other companies LPs are equally heavy or not light anyway.

What is needed is a case with two small wheels at the guitar body end and an integrated or pull up handle at the headstock end.  Similar in fact to how suitcases are made.  Does anyone make such a guitar case?  Business opportunity for someone???
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• There is a company that makes them. Pete Thorn was showing one off on Instagram he is using on the current Classic Rock Show tour. Looked very heavy duty and had suitcase wheels as you said. I'll try and find the link.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The Swamp City Shakers
    28reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6888
    On smooth pavements I can imagine it being good, but around here It would need independent suspension to stop it getting rattled to hell hah
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1679
    I sold a Gibson Historic 58 Les Paul a couple of weeks ago and the guy who bought it wanted to courier it to France. Of course I had to weight it, but my digital kitchen scales wouldn't weight the guitar in it's case as it was over it's limit, so I weighed them separately and added the two together.

I was very surprised to find that the case weighed more than the guitar!

Rob
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30321
    Strap it to a skateboard for maximum cool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 325
    Or use a gig bag you can wear like a rucksack for longer journeys with the LP, something like a Mono case.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1510
    The SKB iSeries case (http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=sku_has_wheels-1-75&id=610&o=&offset=&c=82&s=75) has wheels and is built like the proverbial brich shithouse.  I have one and they are great, but heavier than the guitar!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2213
    I have one of the SKB usa cases with wheels on one end. Superb bit of kit, my R9 lives in it permanently. 

Managed to get a b stock one from Bax for quite a reasonable price. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    edited January 2020
    My Atkin case has strap loops attached so in a pinch you could sling it over your shoulder and keep your hands free.
    I think I've seen somewhere a webbing arrangement which you set a regular case into and then

Edit
    Not sure what happened to the rest of my text - brain fart probably.

I think I've seen somewhere a webbing arrangement which you set a regular case into and thensling it onyour back like a gig bag but rigid. I'd imagine having a coat on would cushion the thing far more than a tee shirt in the summer.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12059
    PRS cases are worse I think.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31977
    I have put my SKB Explorer case in the car before now without realising there was no Explorer in it until I went back to the house for my amp and saw it on the wall.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2451
    PhilKing said:
    The SKB iSeries case (http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=sku_has_wheels-1-75&id=610&o=&offset=&c=82&s=75) has wheels and is built like the proverbial brich shithouse.  I have one and they are great, but heavier than the guitar!
    I've got one of these bad-boys as well - they're built like tanks! Using mine to take a Les Paul to the US this summer. Only issue with it is the key for the locks feels like it could easily snap...

Amazing case though - but pretty heavy!
  • rossirossi Frets: 1713
    My Midtown is fine until I put it in its case .Then I can hardly lift it let alone carry it to blues jams  .I am very old though.I have got a gigbag that it  fits but often I just take my Tele as its super light and indestructible (ish) not that its a problem .A tele is all you need really.
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    The pavements around here and you'd have a case full of parts by the time you got to the gig!
  • PhilKing said:
    I have had 2 skb cases , very good . I ha e sent a Gibson and epiphone through the post in them as well . I currently have a gator pro go 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23732
    They weigh a bloody ton.  And they're so big and cumbersome too, at least Gibson cases are guitar-shaped.
  • Ahh actually my skb cases were the hard foam ones that strap on your back. Rock solid though 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3726
    You're mot kidding.  For probably the last year I've be gigging with my US Standard Strat which came with an SKB moulded case which is both sturdy and light.  Last week I decided to switch to the PRS core, which is a heavier guitar, but the case - it's unbelievable.  If I cary on using this guitar then I may have to stump up for a Hiscox case.

Looking on the Thomann site the SKB case for the Strat is £125 (not Fender branded) whilst the PRS case retails for £195.

Maybe it's true - the PRS's were never meant to be taken out of the consulting room  :3

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4265
    edited January 2020
    I borrowed my friend's Explorer years ago to take to work for some reason... at the time I was living in Rugby & working in London. It was probably the heaviest guitar I've ever picked up, and it was in a massive hard case that weighed about as much again. By the time I'd walked to the station I barely had the strength to get it into the overhead racks on the train... luckily there was a luggage rack so I put it in that instead. Then I had to wrangle it through the tube and then walk to the office from Old Street station... I can't remember what we were doing with it at work but I'm amazed that I had any movement left in my fingers when I got there! lol
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    I think a motorised ride-on case would be perfect for those long load-ins at the arena gigs we all regularly play. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom