A cased LP is heavy......

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12065
    Musicwolf said:
    PRS cases are worse I think.
    You're mot kidding.  For probably the last year I've be gigging with my US Standard Strat which came with an SKB moulded case which is both sturdy and light.  Last week I decided to switch to the PRS core, which is a heavier guitar, but the case - it's unbelievable.  If I cary on using this guitar then I may have to stump up for a Hiscox case.

Looking on the Thomann site the SKB case for the Strat is £125 (not Fender branded) whilst the PRS case retails for £195.

Maybe it's true - the PRS's were never meant to be taken out of the consulting room  :3

I don't think they were ever designed as case for people to move them round a lot.   It just can't be.  Sure it is solid but it is solid in a way that feels luxury rather than protection.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2459
    I bought a couple of these for my Les Pauls last week.  They are very light, tough as nails and great value at this price - https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/181002333344008--tourtech-ttpro-dglp-premium-lp-electric-guitar-diamond-finish-t
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited January 2020
    FarleyUK said:
    PhilKing said:
    The SKB iSeries case (http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=sku_has_wheels-1-75&id=610&o=&offset=&c=82&s=75) has wheels and is built like the proverbial brich shithouse.  I have one and they are great, but heavier than the guitar!
    I've got one of these bad-boys as well - they're built like tanks! Using mine to take a Les Paul to the US this summer. Only issue with it is the key for the locks feels like it could easily snap.

Do not lock the case when travelling to, and especially when returning from the USA.

The US TSA would break the lock if they need to inspect the contents of the case. 

Secure the lid from accidentally popping open with a couple of suitcase elastic straps. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2213
    rocktron said:
    FarleyUK said:
    PhilKing said:
    The SKB iSeries case (http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=sku_has_wheels-1-75&id=610&o=&offset=&c=82&s=75) has wheels and is built like the proverbial brich shithouse.  I have one and they are great, but heavier than the guitar!
    I've got one of these bad-boys as well - they're built like tanks! Using mine to take a Les Paul to the US this summer. Only issue with it is the key for the locks feels like it could easily snap.

Do not lock the case when travelling to, and especially when returning from the USA.

The US TSA would break the lock if they need to inspect the contents of the case. 

Secure the lid from accidentally popping open with a couple of suitcase elastic straps. 
    They've got TSA compliant locks so they can unlock them without damage. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73165
    My Mono bass gig bag is one of the best pieces of musical equipment I own. If I start playing guitar in a band again the first thing I'll do is get a guitar one - or a Fusion, which seem to be very similar quality. I simply wouldn't even consider carrying a hard case on foot or public transport now.

I'm still very surprised more guitarists don't use the rigid foam 'semi hard' cases though - they give near enough the same protection as a hard case, are nearly as comfortable to carry as a gig bag, and are a lot cheaper than a top-quality bag. Most classical musicians use this sort of case.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8163
    This thread makes me yearn for my old Steinberger. 
    Fit into overhead cabins, super light, good fun.  
  • Musicwolf said:
    PRS cases are worse I think.
    You're mot kidding.  For probably the last year I've be gigging with my US Standard Strat which came with an SKB moulded case which is both sturdy and light.  Last week I decided to switch to the PRS core, which is a heavier guitar, but the case - it's unbelievable.  If I cary on using this guitar then I may have to stump up for a Hiscox case.

Looking on the Thomann site the SKB case for the Strat is £125 (not Fender branded) whilst the PRS case retails for £195.

Maybe it's true - the PRS's were never meant to be taken out of the consulting room  :3

the PRS cases have a smaller cavity
  • ICBM said:
    My Mono bass gig bag is one of the best pieces of musical equipment I own. If I start playing guitar in a band again the first thing I'll do is get a guitar one - or a Fusion, which seem to be very similar quality. I simply wouldn't even consider carrying a hard case on foot or public transport now.

I'm still very surprised more guitarists don't use the rigid foam 'semi hard' cases though - they give near enough the same protection as a hard case, are nearly as comfortable to carry as a gig bag, and are a lot cheaper than a top-quality bag. Most classical musicians use this sort of case.
    What do you think of “the sleeves” they do ? I was tempted on one before I got my pro go.

my skb hard foam cases were brilliant yet like a gig bag they could be put on your back .

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73165
    What do you think of “the sleeves” they do ? I was tempted on one before I got my pro go.
    I haven’t seen one yet, but from the description they’re a bit light in terms of protection as well. My full-on Vertigo is no problem to carry for any distance, so I’m not really interested in anything less.

Its best feature is actually the one I was most dubious about the need for before I got it - the big rubber ‘boot’ on the bottom. It means you can put it down anywhere, including outdoors, without worrying about it getting damaged or wet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2432
    hollywoodrox said:
    ........I currently have a gator pro go 
    I had a regular gig where the nearest car park was a half mile walk up a 1-in-4 hill to the venue. Amp, etc was already there so I just had a guitar to carry. It was hard going up that hill carrying the guitar in a Hiscox case so I bought a wheeled case. Jeez that was even harder work to drag up the hill over uneven paving. Salvation came in a Pro Go. Great instrument protection, really light and very comfortable shoulder straps. Perfect.
  • FezFez Frets: 547
    ICBM said:

I got a mono case for the lads bass for his Xmas present and it is fantastic. He walks to a jam night with it on his back (about a mile). Will be getting one when I replace my old gig bag. I do like my hiscox cases for general use though. The foam ones sound good too.
    Don't touch that dial.