Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Seems legit. 1959 PAFs

What's Hot

Comments

• soma1975 said:
    Because of the in the description about measurements of anything other than 8.4k being fake is bollocks. 

Because those same pickups seem to be in the Les Paul in the pic for a £20 gig bag. 

Because it's just funny. 

Because you would lose more on the value of a 59 Burst by swapping out the original PAFs than you could recoup by selling them separately. 

Because £20,000 for some pickups.

Bollocks is spouted routinely about guitars, even here, shock horror   ;)
    The guitar is shown in a separate unrelated ad. for a cheap gigbag, yes, but did you ever try using what you have to hand 'for illustrative purposes' ?

If you have any questions about the prices, pickups, provenance etc. why not just simply ask the seller instead of banging on here? As I said "I personally don't know why anyone would ever be considering selling the pickups separately, but really it's no-one's business but his own."
    "It's no one's business but his own" is not good enough when you're dealing with potentially fake rarities. Why would we ask more questions of someone who has already supplied obviously dodgy information?

And no, people don't routinely use a purportedly quarter-million pound guitar to model a £10 gig bag.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7213
    Well put. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20517
    FWIW, I have actually asked the seller if they care to comment.

In the meantime, some light reading  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
    Ugh... How tiresome. 

It's just a bit of fun FFS. There's no confirmation bias. The advert is hilarious so I shared it. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • FWIW, I have actually asked the seller if they care to comment.

In the meantime, some light reading  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
    Again, from the OP: "Any that don't read 8.6 are fakes, only genuine whites read this high."

There's no need for bias when you read that kind of nonsense next to a starting price of twenty large.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1356
    go to facebook 

armstrong guitars sunderland 

he has the 59 les paul for sale ,genuine offers 

its not a 59 in my book ,if it was as others earlier have said ,why would you split it and lose £££££££s ???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123 said:
    go to facebook 

armstrong guitars sunderland 

he has the 59 les paul for sale ,genuine offers 

its not a 59 in my book ,if it was as others earlier have said ,why would you split it and lose £££££££s ???
    He's had that for sale for at least 4 years, which would lead me to believe that anyone who knows their onions, and in fact, several people who don't know their onions, but have the money to be in the market for one, have looked at and rejected it. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • It’s a ploy to get someone to contact him about buying the whole guitar. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12657
    He's a Shyster.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • rossirossi Frets: 1736
    Gibson never made a Manx Norton .
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10007
    edited February 2020
    Um, have a look at this... pretty sure we’ve done this one before:

https://i.imgur.com/JZVJhZN.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Interesting. 

So that's the guitar the current pickups are in from the gigbag photo which he said he has had since 1959 but in that ad says he has had 20 years. 

His description of the neck is as funny as his anything not 8.4k is fake line. 

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3827
    edited February 2020
    Any that aren't 8.6 are fakes, and his are 8.7. Hmmmm.

However I would agree that I recognise the username, and he usually sells loads of JHS-distributed stuff. I've seen him sell loads of Vintage brand guitars for sure.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • francerfrancer Frets: 369
    Um, have a look at this... pretty sure we’ve done this one before:

https://i.imgur.com/JZVJhZN.jpg
    That might not be the same guitar as the one in the gig back, look at what appears to be forearm wear on the top of of the body, doesn’t look the same.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10007
    I noticed the apparent difference at the top edge after I posted, yes... but the description of that earlier guitar would make anyone doubt the veracity of the pickups.
    Definitely and unmistakably '59 neck....

A few lines later. Most of the parts look like genuine Gibson parts... The headstock front, possibly off an old SG

There's only one type of Vintage this man should be allowed to sell and it's the one distributed by JHS. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    Those are definitely not the same fake ‘59 Les Paul - the pattern of flame in the tops is quite different.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11843
    tFB Trader
    As a pickup winder and repairer some facts I've gained from having contact, repairing and rewinding quite a few PAFs. The pickup bobbins, baseplates and pole screws look genuine. Difficult to tell without 'hands on' but I would say Gibson products from 50s/early sixties.
    To my knowledge (and I have to add that, as new facts and speculation emerges all the time) Gibson never consciously made 'runs' of PAF pickups, and the use of white bobbins was pretty random. That is: if they had some white bobbins available the chucked them in. Sometimes as 'zebra' sometimes as double white, but in a completely unplanned way. Likewise their DC resistance was pretty random and unplanned. They filled the bobbins till they looked full, as the turn counters on the Leesona machines were notoriously unreliable. It wasn't till the 'T Top' that the DCR settles out to a pretty steady 7.6 neck and bridge.
    Yes, I have encountered fairly high resistance PAFs, but it's quite uncommon. To have two pickups reading the same high DCR ... on the same guitar ... it's possible ... but I've not encountered it. Neither have I heard any stories about double white bobbin pickups being 'special' apart from the fact they have double white bobbins .... which I agree is quite uncommon.
    I have been asked to authenticate PAFs before, and my first exploration if I had these pickups in my hand would be to check if they showed signs of being rewinds or 'bitsa' pickups that have been assembled using Gibson parts and then rewound.
    The seller has every right to do with his own property what he wants ... and I won't go into any of that, but if anyone were going to buy the pickups (and fools and their money are parted all the time - that's a stupid price for any pickup pair in my opinion) then the pickups would need to be fully investigated for rewinds and tampering.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks. Lovely to have someone in the know confirm the statements about PAFs and about his in particular are based on complete fabrications. 

There was never a run of white bobbin PAFs that all measured identically. Which is weird because if he hadn't started down the line of making things up he might have gotten some people interested in them. 

• lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Genuine or not I can't understand why someone would buy original pickups for more than it would cost to have a good winder build a new pair with the desired specs, and aging them to match the guitar if needed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom