SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Withdrawn: Washburn Tanglewood Monterey 1982 (made in Japan)

What's Hot
thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2806
edited March 5 in Acoustics £
Washburn Tanglewood Monterey 1982

Made in Japan

Solid cedar top

Rosewood back and sides (flamed and beautiful, almost the nicest I’ve seen)

Matching rosewood headstock

Mahogany neck

Rosewood fingerboard possibly ebony) and bridge

Cross fret markers

I've owned this since new and it’s been very well looked after.  Comes with original hard case.  About 30 years ago the jack plug was repaired with a brass plate which made/makes it super robust.  The electronics and preamp system all work perfectly.  Has the expected small ding here and there as you’d expect with its age but nothing major or that you’d even particularly notice.  Plenty of playing left in the frets but the five at the neck end have grooves and it’s likely to benefit from a level or replacement at some stage.  This is the deep bodied version.

Popular with the major artists back then, so Bob Dylan, George Harrison, John Hiatt, Cat Stevens etc all played these for various tours and recordings.

[Withdrawn]

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2806
    edited February 2020
    I'm struggling to find much information on these, other than people say they're "rare".  I think I may have got the model name wrong initially.  I think it is a Monterey. I don't know much about them other than to say it plays really well, is very practical and suits players used to playing electric guitars - at least I've found that to be the case.

As such it's quite hard to price, I've seen a second hand 12 string one in a shop for £450.  Offers always considered.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bump
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow! That flame is incredible - are you sure it's actually rosewood and not "just" stained maple? I've never seen rosewood like that before, and it's hard to see the usual RW grain structure among the flame too. Either way, it's beautiful!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    That's a YOB for me. I had a similar one for about 15 years, played hundreds of gigs with it, was eventually stolen from my flat in London. Hmm
    roberty said:
    That's a YOB for me. I had a similar one for about 15 years, played hundreds of gigs with it, was eventually stolen from my flat in London. Hmm
    Go on @roberty, the stars are aligned - and we’re round the corner (I’m nr Abergavenny).  (In fact, I’m driving to Bristol airport this evening).  Be great if it went to a good home.

@guitargeek62 that’s great info thanks.  I love the flame on it.  I think it looks stunning.  I got the specs off the internet so they may well be wrong.  Tbh I wouldn’t really know and I’ve found it quite hard to find info on this exact model but I think it was top of the range for the time.  I’ll try and look into it further.
    Up
    Withdrawn.  I actually sold this on Ebay for the asking price but I've never had such second thoughts about selling a guitar and asked the buyer if I could cancel the sale and reimburse him.  He was a really nice bloke and very understanding.  Turned out he'd owned one and sold it about 8 years ago and regretted it ever since.  We both bought new in the 80's after seeing Dylan play one at Wembley and we were both at the same gig!  
  • Hi, have been looking for this guitar for a while. Not sure if you still offer it for sale? If so, I am definitely a candidate buyer!
    Thanks in advance;
    Sincerely,
    Jurgen