NGD - Oh no, not again...

What's Hot
After a great gig at our local blues venue on Friday for which I used my two remaining 5420s, a gentleman approached me and asked me about the guitars - they are both stock apart from a Compton bridge on one. He seemed puzzled that (his opinion) that they sounded better than his 6120. I can offer no opinion on why that might be but I have to say that they both sounded MASSIVE! 

Armed with the confidence that such an encounter brings, off I went to my local pusher on Saturday morning to try out a newly stocked guitar.

Surprise - another Gretsch. The 5410T Rat Rod. It’s very like a 5420 but the body has slightly less depth. Finished in a lovely papery white with black/white/black binding, white headstock, chrome hardware and standard black top Filtertrons with red inserts (yes I know but that’s what they are!) I understood that Electromatic production is moving  to China but this proudly proclaims itself Made in Korea. 

It’s a killer! I’ll be putting a Compton on it but otherwise, ready to go. I love the pickups - just the right amount of power and tone. I’ve found the 5420s to be really useable on gigs - not particularly feedback prone and easy to control - I’m anticipating this to possess the same characteristics. 

I guess that that means another 5420 will be on the market! 

Now - what about getting this pinstriped...? 
0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I saw these new Rat Rods in a shop in Shrewsbury the day the had arrived? 
    The white one looks cool. 
    I didn’t bother trying them. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That looks wicked. Happy new guitar day.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    They look killer except for the red pickup covers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steersteer Frets: 1219
    I really like that.

(Shame about the red on the pickups though!)
  • Love the look of these! Never had a Gretsch either. I quiet like the grey ones too. 

Yup, get it pin striped!! Should look the part for sure. 

Good to hear some praise on these. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2351
    Can you still get Compton bridges? There were some posts on Gretsch Talk a while back which made me think that Pops had stopped making them and/or was no longer with us.
  • Keefy said:
    Can you still get Compton bridges? There were some posts on Gretsch Talk a while back which made me think that Pops had stopped making them and/or was no longer with us.
    I think he was moving house or premises of something - anyway, he’s up and running again, and I’m always in the market for a secondhand Compton or Tru Arc! 
  • That is a great spec, I really love the thinner body and lack of tension bar on the bigsby.
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1108
    That looks great! Would look even better pinstriped 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6167
    ‘Scuse my ignorance but what’s ‘pinstriping’? Very cool looking guitar.
    ps. Did you really shoot your baby?
  • JezWynd said:

Pinstriping... many styles and variants
  • That looks great! And personally I love the red pickups. Get some red in the pinstriping and they'll set it off nicely
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • That looks great! And personally I love the red pickups. Get some red in the pinstriping and they'll set it off nicely
    Precisely my thinking! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @downbytheriver ;Seeing as I’ve never had a Gretsch - What’s the deal with Compton Bridges? Also, are the Korea made versions any better than the China ones? Genuinely interested in one of these rat rod ones. Always wanted a fully hollow guitar too
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 620

I understood that Electromatic production is moving  to China but this proudly proclaims itself Made in Korea. 

Are they all made in in Korea?

Happy NGD!
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6167
    JezWynd said:

Pinstriping... many styles and variants
    Interesting, thanks.
  • brucegill said:
    @downbytheriver ;Seeing as I’ve never had a Gretsch - What’s the deal with Compton Bridges? Also, are the Korea made versions any better than the China ones? Genuinely interested in one of these rat rod ones. Always wanted a fully hollow guitar too
    This is a Compton bridge

Solid, not good for you if you are particularly intonation fussy but generally an improvement in tone and reduction in rattle over the standard tunomatic style bridge. Similarly, the Truarc bridge. 

Korean vs Chinese... hard to say. It used to be simple - USA Custom Shop - beautiful, brilliantly made, staggeringly expensive. Japan - Proline - very high build standard, great feel, great tone, absolutely proper Gretsches.  Korea - Electromatic - good build standard, proper Gretsch pickups (mostly the Blacktop Filtertrons but some others including Dynasonics). China - Streamliners - good build, slightly less attractive (to my eye but others will differ), generally Broadtron pickups (Filtertrons but Gibson humbucker sized) still a decent pickup but a bit less Gretschy. 

I have recently seen some Electromatic that were built in China, played fine, sounded fine. Time will tell whether standards are maintained. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • brucegill said:
    @downbytheriver ;Seeing as I’ve never had a Gretsch - What’s the deal with Compton Bridges? Also, are the Korea made versions any better than the China ones? Genuinely interested in one of these rat rod ones. Always wanted a fully hollow guitar too
    This is a Compton bridge

Solid, not good for you if you are particularly intonation fussy but generally an improvement in tone and reduction in rattle over the standard tunomatic style bridge. Similarly, the Truarc bridge. 

Korean vs Chinese... hard to say. It used to be simple - USA Custom Shop - beautiful, brilliantly made, staggeringly expensive. Japan - Proline - very high build standard, great feel, great tone, absolutely proper Gretsches.  Korea - Electromatic - good build standard, proper Gretsch pickups (mostly the Blacktop Filtertrons but some others including Dynasonics). China - Streamliners - good build, slightly less attractive (to my eye but others will differ), generally Broadtron pickups (Filtertrons but Gibson humbucker sized) still a decent pickup but a bit less Gretschy. 

I have recently seen some Electromatic that were built in China, played fine, sounded fine. Time will tell whether standards are maintained. 
    Many thanks! Good info on what pickups are used too. 

Aggggg. I’m off to peach later to try and find one of my kids his first guitar. My wife just ordered her first bass. I don’t think I can resist!! 
  • I really love my 5420. Is there much difference, tonally?
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • I really love my 5420. Is there much difference, tonally?
    On first trying, not a vast amount but I’ll reserve judgement until after I’ve gigged it!