Proclaimers- Official Note of Clarification Issued.

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 31586
edited June 2014 in Off Topic

Places The Proclaimers would walk. A helpful guide.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    They started in Auchtermuchty though, which changes the result slightly. But not much.

[/pedant]

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4198
    edited June 2014
    Is this the incorrect version of the map that assumes the Earth is flat? I seem to remember another version appearing online (which I can't find yet) that corrects the circles slightly for the shape of the planet.

/also pedant

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Are they descendents of Jesus?
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    holnrew said:
    Are they descendents of Jesus?
    Given that they claim to have produced sunshine on Leith, quite possibly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Lightweights. Eliza (and many other fokies) would go 10,000 miles.
  • camfcamf Frets: 1203
    I expect a public stoning... but I put on their first ever gig. They used to come along as our support band because they were a good laugh and didn't take up much room in the van. Back then they were also *€#*ing awesome as a live band with just the two of them. Didn't care so much for the records or the bands they put together but they're still lovely guys.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31586
    edited June 2014

camf said:
    I expect a public stoning... but I put on their first ever gig. They used to come along as our support band because they were a good laugh and didn't take up much room in the van. Back then they were also *€#*ing awesome as a live band with just the two of them. Didn't care so much for the records or the bands they put together but they're still lovely guys.

I've seen them and I'd utterly concur they're effing great live....sang their hearts out and very complex harmonies. Rather like the Levellers who are utterly jaw dropping live

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    Is this the incorrect version of the map that assumes the Earth is flat? I seem to remember another version appearing online (which I can't find yet) that corrects the circles slightly for the shape of the planet.

/also pedant

Have a Wisdom. Bet that means it gonna take me longer to get to Edinburgh next week? Tsk.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Lightweights. Eliza (and many other fokies) would go 10,000 miles.
    Thats is one of the truly terrible folk songs of modern times, terrible stuff!
    Old Is Gold
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2150
    tFB Trader
    camf said:

Me and the missus saw them when we'd just started going out, in Buckie Fisherman's Hall. September 1987 it would have been. They were brill :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1203
    I think I must have seen them dozens of times around then... can't say they ever disappointed. 
    Thats is one of the truly terrible folk songs of modern times, terrible stuff!

It's much older than that, 18th Century. Although Eliza's was the first version I head.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    camf said:
    Well done - great band :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Why are so many people outing themselves as paedos?
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5734
    martinw said:

Me and the missus saw them when we'd just started going out, in Buckie Fisherman's Hall. September 1987 it would have been. They were brill :)

I was meant to go to that!
    Mental!
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140

Not in a VW Camper they wouldn't.

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2150
    tFB Trader
    DiscoStu said:
    martinw said:

I was meant to go to that!
    Mental!

:)

I've still got the poster for the gig from Sound and Vision in Elgin. Keep meaning to frame it, but it's about 4 foot long!

• MPHMPH Frets: 56
    Actually, I don't think there is any mention of walking 500 miles in a straight line.

They could just of walked for 1 mile and then back in their hometown 250 times (then 250 times more).

They would of looked a bit mental, but on the plus side they would never be far from home.

[/factual]
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    What the fook are ye haverin' aboot?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2014
    MPH said:
    Actually, I don't think there is any mention of walking 500 miles in a straight line.

They could just of walked for 1 mile and then back in their hometown 250 times (then 250 times more).

They would of looked a bit mental, but on the plus side they would never be far from home.

[/factual]
    Hmmm, not sure that holds up.

The song is called "I'm Gonna Be 500 Miles", that suggests to me walking 500 miles (and then 500 more).

Also the chorus ends with "Just to be the man who walked a thousand miles to fall down at your door"

So our hero can't be starting in Scotland as he's walking a thousand miles straight to get to his beloved. 

So mainland Europe, America perhaps (a good place to send a letter from).

**Edit** actually the usual route from Lands' End to John o'Groats is about 1200miles, so it's quite possible she's Cornish.

**Edit 2** I'm bound to f**** this bloody song up on Saturday night as all I'll be thinking about is this thread!