Proclaimers- Official Note of Clarification Issued.

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31586

OK lads, now can anyone shed any light on just how fine Mickey is?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1203
    Google maps would suggest 500 miles from Edinburgh would see you end up somewhere around Bodmin... not a bad place to be. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18305
    edited June 2014 tFB Trader
    Are we debating if the Proclaimers are a scalar or a vector?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    not_the_dj said:

**Edit** actually the usual route from Lands' End to John o'Groats is about 1200miles, so it's quite possible she's Cornish.
    This is actually quite likely, since apparently the Reids lived in Cornwall for a while when they were kids.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Gassage said:

Well he blew my mind he so fine hey Mickey.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31586

johnnyurq said:
    Gassage said:

Well he blew my mind he so fine hey Mickey.

Noted in spirit offered.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    edited June 2014
    camf;259909" said:
    Google maps would suggest 500 miles from Edinburgh would see you end up somewhere around Bodmin... not a bad place to be. 
    Not quite the same ring to it, "Bodmin ..ain't a bad place to be" and I am not sure it would have been as big a hit. :D

Not that Bodmin isn't nice, apart from scary moors beasties natch.

Further to the Proclaimers debate not sure on where the 500 miles leads to but another song explains the long grass in certain parts of Scotland.

Bathgate no mower, Linwood no mower, Methil no mower and Lochaber no mower. Coat on and in the hall.

They played up here in Inverness a few times mainly at the Market Bar which is minute in size and were booked to play just as they hot it big and still months later honoured the gig and  a few after too. Mental it were because everyone and their wife tried to get into a tiny wee bar that cannot even host a full band without losing half the punters.

Also saw them at the Edinburgh leg of Live 8 and they were damned good still. they opened it with guess what, the very song under dicussion here due to it being billed as the long walk to justice and the G8.

Next day I got caught up in the nonsense on 7/7 that turned out thankfully to be a hoax in Edinburgh but sadly not in London, first day at the HQ of my new job and was late due to them getting shit up with the G8 lot in Edinbugh Hotels at that time.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1656
    edited June 2014
    Is this the incorrect version of the map that assumes the Earth is flat? I seem to remember another version appearing online (which I can't find yet) that corrects the circles slightly for the shape of the planet.

/also pedant
    Yes it's the mecante, mercanto (something like that) map that was made in the 1600's and is skewed, making greenland the size of mars and africa the size of wales. We still use it today.

As I understand it you can't make a truly accurate flat map of the globe. Because, science. 

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10068
    edited June 2014

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    HAL9000 said:

Incorrect. The place Bono can't live is the area outside *both* circles.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5734
    edited June 2014

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5734
    martinw said:

:)

I've still got the poster for the gig from Sound and Vision in Elgin. Keep meaning to frame it, but it's about 4 foot long!

Pics?
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7492
    ICBM said:
    HAL9000 said:

Incorrect. The place Bono can't live is the area outside *both* circles.
    Sadly I think he may be lying because he appears to stlil be around.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    I got lost back at "a scalar or a vector?"
    "500 miles" is always a scalar a vector must have a directional component as well as magnitude.

What the OP was trying to say was that the 500 miles doesn't have to be in a straight line and the follow up about vectors / scalars was just a tenuous maths joke.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    And in fact the original illustration, despite clearly having incorrect diameter marked actually include the subset of places that you could walk to in paths other than straight lines (the coloured area within the circle). The edge of the circle indicates the set of places that require walking the distance in a straight line.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Got lost again as soon as my peripheral vision spotted the word 'maths'... I need a lie down. :-)
    edited June 2014
    Hey I did better then. It's the second to last word in the post!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 365
    streethawk said:

Yes it's the mecante, mercanto (something like that) ...
    Mercator ;)

• martmart Frets: 5213
    ICBM said:
    They started in Auchtermuchty though, which changes the result slightly. But not much.

[/pedant]

Is this the incorrect version of the map that assumes the Earth is flat? I seem to remember another version appearing online (which I can't find yet) that corrects the circles slightly for the shape of the planet.

/also pedant
    Ok, here it is centred on Auchtermuchty, and with the circles corrected to compensate for the Mercator projection. The good news is that now all of Iceland is within reach. The bad news is that we've lost a good chunk of Spain, including Barcelona.

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k455/mart206/Proclaimers_zpsf57427d7.gif

Now can I please have my life back!