Sweet Jesus this is brilliant

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7752
Thomas Leeb, on a baritone acoustic, playing a percussive guitar arrangement of Comfortably Numb (including solos!).

It is fucking superb. Love his stuff, he's a wonderful player.

Also, there's a camera inside the guitar, which is pretty cool.
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10781
    Is it a lowden? I can't open the clip
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    edited June 2014
    lovely stuff thanks for posting :) yes it is a Lowden
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    Super talented player/arranger. It's interesting how the effect of the camera makes the strings look like ripples on a lake.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    excellent. 
    I can see how you can clip tiny cameras to strategic places, but in the shot from the headstock I couldn't see the camera at the bridge end. I thought I saw something clipped to the headstock though.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    edited June 2014
    Love it.

Kinda reminds me of a guy that plays at my local boozer on Open Mic night.
    Slight unexpected change at the 1 minute point in this track.

Sorry for the threadjack.
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6256
    Abso-feckin-lutley superb. I felt like shyte this morning but that put a big smile on my face. 
    Thanks for posting and have a Wow on me
    :D
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 562
    I like, including the wibbly squibbly strings!

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    excellent. 
    I can see how you can clip tiny cameras to strategic places, but in the shot from the headstock I couldn't see the camera at the bridge end. I thought I saw something clipped to the headstock though.

Looks like the video was multiple takes and then synced back up. On some shots there is a sound hole pickup but on the inside shot it has been removed. A really nice arrangement, cheers for posting.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3357

Lovely stuff. Jon Gomm does this sort of thing as well.

Cheers Conor

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    excellent. 

Looks like the video was multiple takes and then synced back up. On some shots there is a sound hole pickup but on the inside shot it has been removed. A really nice arrangement, cheers for posting.
    That would seem quite reasonable. The video was erratic & jerky when I watched it - fortunately the audio was mainly smooth - so I couldn't have detected any discrepancy between sounds & finger movements which would usually give away a multiple take. Yes, that's right my broadband is well slow.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16453
    viz said:
    Is it a lowden?
    No lowder than a typical acoustic.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1373
    edited June 2014
    I love Thomas Leeb's playing. He's also a real nice guy. I met him in the days when he took over from Eric Roche at the IGF Summer School in times past. He does do an annual Summer School of his own in Austria if anyone's interested.
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    I thought Leeb was associated with Benjamin guitars(??) or maybe that was Newton Faulkner... but either way I really like Leeb's playing. Guitar teacher introduced me to his stuff way back. I really like some of his originals, Akaskero is beautiful and some of his stuff like The Hard Can, Upside Down, Desert Pirate and Fishbowl is really cool. 

Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    So am I the only one to feel nauseous with all that nautically bobbing neck camera ?

Love the "wibbly squibbly strings" rippling down the neck, an interesting look, and a poetically interesting phrase from @ROOG, cheers.  :)

Great playing, much enjoyed on a rainy old Brit morning, a little ray of acoustic sunshine.   :)  :)  :)

• ROOGROOG Frets: 562
    @ChrisMusic I probably pinched "wibbley squibbley" from the "Red Dwarf" series

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24731
    So am I the only one to feel nauseous with all that nautically bobbing neck camera ?
    Nope.  I can't watch the video - all that movement is horrible.

As for the music... sorry.... it doesn't do much for me at all.  His timing is rather sloppy and the buzzing bass strings provide neither percussion or tone.  I can appreciate he obviously has talent but I'd rather hear him play it on a regular guitar (and without the vertigo inducing camera shots).
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10781
    viz said:
    Is it a lowden?
    No lowder than a typical acoustic.

lol
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    Fantastic. I love the video as well, quite fascinating.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Emp_Fab said:
    Nope.  I can't watch the video - all that movement is horrible.

As for the music... sorry.... it doesn't do much for me at all.  His timing is rather sloppy and the buzzing bass strings provide neither percussion or tone.  I can appreciate he obviously has talent but I'd rather hear him play it on a regular guitar (and without the vertigo inducing camera shots).
    I didn't much like it either. I lasted maybe 20 seconds.

If you're going to play the vocal melody on the guitar, at least wear glasses and play a red Strat.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24882
    edited June 2014
    I was in London for a few days last week and saw I guy busking at Oxford Circus tube station playing Little Wing on a Chapman Stick.

It was similarly irritating....

I felt no need to video it and post it in a thread with an unnecessarily blasphemous title.