Boss DS1 - most over hyped pedal?

What's Hot

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    impmann said:
    OK overhyped maybe an overstatement... but there is a lot of hype about this being a great sounding, versatile pedal and it isn't either as far as I can see,,,
    Dont you have a RAT?

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Yes, sir I do. Two of em, I think... at least I *had* two... deffo got one still.

I think of a RAT as more of a hybrid Fuzz pedal, tbh. It has the girth of a fuzz but the gain of a distortion pedal. 

I love 'em - that is a point though... perhaps I ought to drag that out for this weekend's gig.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

If you want to take the roof off I can lend you my Jackhammer :-D

Its better as an OD but it has a distortion setting.

Or you can borrow my Shredmaster if you like? That should get you in the ball park
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    If you want to take the roof off I can lend you my Jackhammer :-D

Its better as an OD but it has a distortion setting.

Funnily I prefer the distortion on the Jack Hammer. Without any real effort I got a mid-80's Judas Priest-type sound from it.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    mike_l said:

Funnily I prefer the distortion on the Jack Hammer. Without any real effort I got a mid-80's Judas Priest-type sound from it.
    Funnily again, I was just thinking about the good 70's Priest-type sound I can get from the OD setting!
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 567
    I have both DS-1 and SD-1 I struggle to understand why, perhaps I have the wrong kind of amp/s?

Bidley said:
    mike_l said:

Funnily again, I was just thinking about the good 70's Priest-type sound I can get from the OD setting!

I can get a decent approximation of that tone from a Mk1 Guvnor

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    ROOG said:
    I have both DS-1 and SD-1 I struggle to understand why, perhaps I have the wrong kind of amp/s?
    Have you tried running the SD-1 into the DS-1 yet? If not, do :).

Set the SD-1 for a moderately dirty, very slight level boost (not much) and the DS-1 for a unity-gain bright crunch.

It's so good Boss should really make the two in one pedal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mike_l;259801" said:
    Bidley said:

mike_l said:Funnily I prefer the distortion on the Jack Hammer. Without any real effort I got a mid-80's Judas Priest-type sound from it.Funnily again, I was just thinking about the good 70's Priest-type sound I can get from the OD setting!I can get a decent approximation of that tone from a Mk1 Guvnor
    How are you finding the mk 2 guvnor? I miss that, I might see if I can find another but I reckon the jackhammer might work better.
    Bidley said:
    mike_l said:

I can get a decent approximation of that tone from a Mk1 Guvnor
    mike_l;259801" said:
    Bidley said:

mike_l said:Funnily I prefer the distortion on the Jack Hammer. Without any real effort I got a mid-80's Judas Priest-type sound from it.Funnily again, I was just thinking about the good 70's Priest-type sound I can get from the OD setting!I can get a decent approximation of that tone from a Mk1 Guvnor
    How are you finding the mk 2 guvnor? I miss that, I might see if I can find another but I reckon the jackhammer might work better.

I fackin' love it.

If you want to try a Jackhammer, I'll lend you mine for a weekend.

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I love the ds1, the trick is to show it a little gain from the amp to make it really shine. Through a clean channel I'd agree it's not very dynamic or responsive, but on the edge of break up it really comes alive. If you're after a great distortion straight into a clean channel for punk rock tones, I'd say go with the mesa throttle box or the mi audio crunch box v3, both are absolute aggressors that really give you the snarl through the palm mutes.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    edited June 2014 tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    ROOG said:

Set the SD-1 for a moderately dirty, very slight level boost (not much) and the DS-1 for a unity-gain bright crunch.

Isn't that esentially what that Ibanez Jemini pedal is?

EDIT: Actually scratch that I'm pretty sure it's a TS into a DS1.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 567
    ICBM said:
    ROOG said:

Which ever it is, I'll give it a go. :0)

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    Vai did an amusing video about it:

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    ICBM said:
    ROOG said:

Dunno, never heard of it.

Google google...

Oh My God, my eyes hurt!!!

:)

Actually it looks quite cool. I assume it has some Vai association from the name and the paint job.

I was really thinking more like a Boss SD-2 - Boss compact box, stacked knobs, options to run one, the other or both with a single switch to cycle through the sounds, turn on or off the whole thing or whatever.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixote;259908" said:
    Vai did an amusing video about it:

It's a great sounding thing.

And, as much as I don't want to, I do like him. And he ain't a bad player either...
    mike_l;259801" said:
    Bidley said:

ebay is literally flooded with £15 Jackhammers

fill your boots
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    I don't think they're that over-hyped. A lot of people don't much like them.

They're no klon... :))
  • Great, now I want a Carvin Legacy.
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    My mate uses the distortion of his Jack Hammer into an early '80s silver sided Peavey Classic (100w IIRC) and it sounds absolutely brutal. Very JCM800 sounding and totally unforgiving distortion. DS1 into the same set up was very tame in comparison