Fractal Audio floor MultiFX anyone?

What's Hot
mrkbmrkb Frets: 7405
Karma......
Ebay mark7777_1
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7973

"Just effects. Specifically designed for 4CM with dedicated pre- and post- paths. Up to 8 simultaneous effects. Any number assignable pre/post. Any combination of series or parallel routing. Two expression pedal inputs, four relay outputs. USB for remote editing with free FX8-Edit software. Silent Switch technology from the MFC Mark III. True Bypass. Etc., etc. Don't drop it on your foot."

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    I just did a little sex wee!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1141
    Any idea on pricing?
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    Strymon shareholders look away now!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • danodano Frets: 1647
    Does it feature magic Klon diodes and resistor values ? If not I'm out.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    Wow. 

If it's a bit cheaper than the AxeFX then it might be the thing I've been waiting for.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28014
    edited June 2014
    Wow. 

If it's a bit cheaper than the AxeFX then it might be the thing that makes @Drew_fx cry tears of joy and despair.
    Corrected.
    <space for hire>
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23145
    Oooof. Please have a full and proper stereo implementation ie. no summing to mono at any point. 

Wow. 

If it's a bit cheaper than the AxeFX then it might be the thing that makes @Drew_fx cry tears of joy and despair.
    Corrected.

He'll end up owning both units but still looking for a foot switch.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    edited June 2014
    Likely expensive (I would guess around the £1k mark by the time it get's to the UK).. Honestly can't see the point, you might as well get a cheaper M9/M13/Boss, or the full blown AxeFX II. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    OH MY SHITTING GOD THIS COULD BE COOL....
    Si_;260215" said:
    Likely expensive (I would guess around the £1k mark by the time it get's to the UK).. Honestly can't see the point, you might as well get a cheaper M9/M13/Boss, or the full blown AxeFX II. 
    I hear you but there is a market for this. There are people who want to use Axe gear in 4CM with a regular amp, this is potentially going to be miles cheaper than an Axe + MFC, plus is just one unit rather than needing to carry both a footswitch and a rack unit.

Personally I won't buy one but I don't need the advanced effects, I'm most interested in the amp models myself so Axe FX 2 is still what I'd pick.
    Two rows of switches. Looking good!

I very well could end up with BOTH - AFII and this new unit.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2768
    Looks like a nice alternative to a G system for controlling an amp and adding effects with extra updates and tweaking - would be nice to have a couple of loops though.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3411
    This could be the thing that makes me sell a £1k pedalboard that's taken 7 yrs to build up!
  • Eight fx at the same time. Awesome. That's what it's all about. Stupid m13 with its only 4 at the same time.
    A great doorway into axe fx too, for someone like me who wants one but can't really justify yet. Any idea on price ?
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1141
    I wonder if TC Electronic are going to drop the price of the G System or release a new version - it's been around quite a while now hasn't it?

• dindudedindude Frets: 8625
    I think there's def an opening for a pro quality fx unit that isn't laden with amp models etc. one thing though, what is the effect quality like on an AFII? You hear most chat around the amp models and not a great deal on the effects. Are the effects several leaps ahead of boss/tc multi units for example? Are they Strymon quality plus? Genuinely interested......
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3411
    I agree with Dindude in that a pro-quality fx unit is long overdue and I welcome this without the amp models.

As someone said, as soon as a price is known, please post up.
    dindude said:
    I think there's def an opening for a pro quality fx unit that isn't laden with amp models etc. one thing though, what is the effect quality like on an AFII? You hear most chat around the amp models and not a great deal on the effects. Are the effects several leaps ahead of boss/tc multi units for example? Are they Strymon quality plus? Genuinely interested......
    I tend to feel a lot of emphasis is put on "effect quality" but no-one really defines it. If you took the delay algorithms from a Line 6 box, a Strymon box, the Axe FX, a Boss digital pedal... put them in a code environment, you'd probably find that they're incredibly similar. The core basics of a delay for instance... a buffer, a multiplier, and a feedback loop. Sound goes into the buffer, goes out to the output whilst at the same time going to a multiplier which then feeds the input of the buffer. Thus... your bog standard digital delay. Start putting filters, notches, EQ peaks, choruses, in the feedback path... you start to get Strymon style delays. Add another buffer to the feedback loop, modulate its start and end points or its playback rate, and you start to get Eventide style modulation. Add a diffusor, and you start getting reverbs.

It's all a much of a muchness - particularly these days where knowledge is pretty easy to come by. You could go on MusicDSP and get a delay or reverb and tweak to your hearts content.

The main thing that sets apart all these units is workflow, signal to noise ratio, and feature set. I honestly believe that. Put most digital delays and reverbs next to each other, and often times you wont be able to pick which is objectively best... it'll be a subjective decision on what you prefer.

The Axe FX gives you in-depth control over the sound. So instead of having to put up with the incredibly over the top modulation depth on a Boss DD7 (imho!) you can dial it in just right... for you.

In short: The Axe FX II effects are good. To me, they're not appreciably above anything else in terms of raw sound... but the workflow, routing, and advanced parameters allow you to do some very cool things that you wouldn't be able to do with a bunch of single stomps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom