NGD - FGN Masterfield P90s

cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
edited February 2020 in Guitar
So NGD for me .. FGN Masterfield with P90s.

I'm super impressed, some of you will remeber I used to have a Collings I30-LC but I never really got well with it considering the price. The Masterfield on the other hand is amazing.. finishing, setup were all spot-on. The guitar sounds much more alive and has that chime / sparkle that I couldn't get out of the Collings.

The P90s are low output what I also prefer .. they don't have the same clarity / definition in the low E / A strings as Collings' Lollars but being soapbars I can easily try different options. Still I'm quite happy with those ones anyway.

Neck is nice .. a bit skinnier than Collings 59 style but not Gibson 60s specs.

The body is smaller than a standard 335 just like the Collings (15" lower bout if I'm not wrong) and well proportionated.
This one has a central mahogany block which is also great.

So all in all I think it's a very well spec'd guitar for a quarter of a Collings would cost.

It's a keeper definitely!

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Beautiful looking guitar, I'm considering one myself. Where did you get yours? Were you able to try before buying?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Beautiful looking guitar, I'm considering one myself. Where did you get yours? Were you able to try before buying?
    Got it from Reverb - https://reverb.com/uk/shop/oscar-music. Haven't had a chance to try before buying though so I guess I got lucky this time :) 
  • Glad it worked out for you. I'd prefer to try before I buy, but I've yet to find a dealer in the UK who stocks Masterfield models. My search continues...

• Interesting, had been looking at these just a couple nights ago after watching an FGN documentary on YouTube. Get a sense they walk the talk. 
  • Glad it worked out for you. I'd prefer to try before I buy, but I've yet to find a dealer in the UK who stocks Masterfield models. My search continues...

you're more than welcome to check the guitar if by any chance you pass by south-east london any of these days! ;)
  • That's very good of you mate. I may well take you up on that sometime if I have no luck finding a UK dealer who stocks the Masterfield.  Cheers, Rich . :-)

• @cbellanga a few questions if you don't mind. What's the nut width on the Masterfield? What made you choose the P90 version over the humbucker one? How does the build quality compare to the Collings? Many thanks.

• @cbellanga a few questions if you don't mind. What's the nut width on the Masterfield? What made you choose the P90 version over the humbucker one? How does the build quality compare to the Collings? Many thanks.

Sure no worries:
    1. nut width is 42.8mm
    2. I prefer the P90s for a more funk / brighter sound .. my reference is this video from new mastersounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgek3tGlCk4&t
    3. Quality wise it's surprisingly very close .. can't justify the price difference tbh
  • Thanks, that's very helpful and good to know.
  • Beautiful looking guitar.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.