Birmingham Guitar Shops

What's Hot
Following on from the thread on Manchester shops, I'm going to be in Birmingham for a few days in March (going to the Punkt festival for anyone interested in Norwegian improvised music and electronics).

What shops should I be checking out? I'm staying centrally and on foot, but have some time to kill/learn how the buses work etc.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DanDan Frets: 448
    I would check out the little guitar shop. It’s about a 15 mins walk from the centre. Nice and quirky. 

Also guitar guitar on Hagley Road is worth a look for a bigger more mainstream store. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JasonJason Frets: 1107
    tFB Trader
    The Little Guitar Shop
    Fairdeal Music
    PMT
    GuitarGuitar

That is it in the city centre (and that is a loose description of the city centre) PMT and GG are very large stores, Fairdeal is decent sized and TLGS is as per the title, but for me has the most interesting/non mainstream stock and Martin will probably stick the kettle on for you
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    www.thelittleguitarshop.com - and there's a good cafe over the road.
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice, a pretty resounding vote for the Little Guitar Shop then! Thanks all. 
  • Problem none of them are really viable walking distances from eachother, you're best to go to tlgs and fair deal music, and in the middle visit hobgoblin music 
  • If you are going to learn how Birmingham busses work don't forget a big knife...

Yeh, the Little Guitar Shop - bus or Metro or local train from the city centre. It's in the Jewellery Quarter which is interesting, lot of coffee shops and that kind of thing. And jewellery. 

GuitarGuitar - many, many busses run down the Hagley Road  even if the shop is annoyingly not by a stop. Would be walkable from the city centre if you were feeling vigorous.

PMT moved recently, I have driven to it . Must be a bus there I guess. 

Fair Deal Music - only guitar shop in the city centre. Crap website, back of the Mailbox if you like posh shops. More of a general music shop but they have brands, eg Godin, that the two chain stores don't stock. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • PMT have always been good to me
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    PMT have let me down the last couple of times I've been but they have a good range. Much prefer guitarguitar tbh and if you go they have two shops one acoustic and one electric but next to each other so don't miss one of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JasonJason Frets: 1107
    tFB Trader
    King85 said:
    PMT have let me down the last couple of times I've been but they have a good range. Much prefer guitarguitar tbh and if you go they have two shops one acoustic and one electric but next to each other so don't miss one of them.

The acoustic store has closed, just the one store now (with acoustics& electrics in it)
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • Problem none of them are really viable walking distances from eachother, you're best to go to tlgs and fair deal music, and in the middle visit hobgoblin music 
    I keep forgetting Hobgoblin, I’ve never been since it moved which must have been five years ago. 

There is also the Classical Guitar Centre, which is a couple more stops on the number 9 bus past GuitarGuitar. The largest stock of classical guitars in Europe, apparently, even if it looks like someone’s house. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    I keep forgetting Hobgoblin, I’ve never been since it moved which must have been five years ago. 

There is also the Classical Guitar Centre, which is a couple more stops on the number 9 bus past GuitarGuitar. The largest stock of classical guitars in Europe, apparently, even if it looks like someone’s house. 
    I didn't even know aboht the classical guitar shop! I'll def have to take a look, hobgoblin can have great stuff in  so def worth the occasional visit :) 
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    edited February 2020
    Jason said:
    King85 said:

The acoustic store has closed, just the one store now (with acoustics& electrics in it)
    Oh I wasn't aware of this, there you go the trip to gg just got even easier then!
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3110
    edited February 2020
    I did them all in one day about 12 months ago on my Tele quest. I'd just go to the Bham show this weekend as all their interesting stock will be under one roof.

LGS and GtrGtr are my favs. PMT is ok but suffers from having too many guitars - some of them are 20ft up! Also it reminds me of how magnificent Musical Exchanges was
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• I did them all in one day about 12 months ago on my Tele quest. I'd just go to the Bham show this weekend as all their interesting stock will be under one roof.

LGS and GtrGtr are my favs. PMT is ok but suffers from having too many guitars - some of them are 20ft up! Also it reminds me of how magnificent Musical Exchanges was
    Yeah, if I was free this weekend I'd definitely be there. 
  • I did them all in one day about 12 months ago on my Tele quest. I'd just go to the Bham show this weekend as all their interesting stock will be under one roof.

Good old Snow Hill... ME was an amazing place..
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    I did them all in one day about 12 months ago on my Tele quest. I'd just go to the Bham show this weekend as all their interesting stock will be under one roof.

Ah yes, Musical Exchanges. The days I've spent in there being completely ignored by all the staff stood me in good stead for when I got married.  :)
    Call me Dave.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2452
    Used to regularly drive the 100 miles to Musical Exchanges. Bought loads of guitars there and they always had free copies of the Fender Frontlines magazine too.Happy days.