Tc electronic alter ego x4

What's Hot
littlethoughtslittlethoughts Frets: 656
http://proguitarshop.com/tc-electronic-alter-ego-x4.html
New from PGS - like the regular x4 but custom vintage delay settings. Cool but I won't be getting rid of my standard x4, even if it looks nice!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Andy you git, stop it!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4386
    edited June 2014
    Gotta get this! I was interested in the X4 already but didn't want to lose my DMM tones off of my current Alter Ego! :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    Brilliant! Empress VM Superdelay GAS all over again. Cheers Andy
    Is this a PGS exclusive (for the time being)? They've had me before with the Supernatural/Alter Ego/Trinity pedals.
    Yep, looks like it at least. I'll probably hold off until Thomann et al start stocking it next year. :(
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    I was all like "meh" and then I clicked on it. Looks and sounds very good actually. And has proper tap tempo, which I hadn't realised the X4 had.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • stickyfiddle;260260" said:
    I was all like "meh" and then I clicked on it. Looks and sounds very good actually. And has proper tap tempo, which I hadn't realised the X4 had.

http://proguitarshop.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/l/alteregox4-4.jpg
    Yes the tap tempo and looper is what persuaded me to get an x4 and sell my old nova repeater - I loved the tap but wanted a looper and the standard flashback had those things but not in an easily accessible way. I was about to say one thing I don't like about the alter ego x4 is the lack of a pristine studio delay, but of course you could just use a toneprint for that. Not the reason you are buying it but nice to have the option.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    This confuses me as I thought the point of the toneprint stuff was to be able to add models in anyway?

Also the flashback doesent oscillate properly, I don't know if this new one can but if they haven't fixed that then a "vintage" pedal is slightly pointless really.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1641
    Anyone know if they have managed to make it any smaller than the original X4? I rather hope so. At least it's not as fugly

edited June 2014
    JohnPerry said:
    Anyone know if they have managed to make it any smaller than the original X4? I rather hope so. At least it's not as fugly

Looks to be the same size and format as the regular x4, just a fancy paint job and the exclusive sounds. Like they did with the Alter Ego and Trinity (Flashback and Hall of Fame). The exclusive toneprints from those have never been available so I'd guess the same pattern will be followed with this. Sounds bloody great from Andy's demo, but then everything does!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2014
    Just having another listen to this and the DM-2 model is selling it to me pretty damn well. If any of you are fans of Frusciante, then you've heard (8:40-8:55) this tone a million times;

I like the extra Binson & DMM models too, so those combined with the increased looper functionality* seem to make this a pretty good deal imo. I might even end up ordering it sooner than planned at this rate. B-)
    PGS confirmed to me that it is the same size as the X4. Why is the bugger so huge?

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1358
    edited June 2014
    JohnPerry said:
    PGS confirmed to me that it is the same size as the X4. Why is the bugger so huge?

Would you really want four footswitches any closer together than that?
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • JohnPerry said:
    Yeah the only reason it looks different to me is that the knobs are smaller. I wouldn't want the flashback x4 any smaller, and it is the same size/a little smaller than the alternative 4-switch delays from Line6, Vox etc.
  • therose789therose789 Frets: 467
    Looks lovely that! 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16669
    quick google says the Vox Delaylab is biggest then the Line 6 DL4 then the X4 ( which is almost half the height of the Delaylab oddly enough). So, its a bit smaller than the competition. I don't think you could have it much smaller and be useable. All the connections are around the back so if you have a two row pedal board you do need to leave a bit of space behind it for those.
    When mine arrived it actually seemed a lot smaller than what I had expected, although it does take up about half of my Commuter board ( TBH its a pretty tiny board). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • quick google says the Vox Delaylab is biggest then the Line 6 DL4 then the X4 ( which is almost half the height of the Delaylab oddly enough). So, its a bit smaller than the competition. I don't think you could have it much smaller and be useable. All the connections are around the back so if you have a two row pedal board you do need to leave a bit of space behind it for those.
    When mine arrived it actually seemed a lot smaller than what I had expected, although it does take up about half of my Commuter board ( TBH its a pretty tiny board). 
    I have the exact same pedal on the exact same board. Behind it I have a tc electronic trinity reverb, turned sideways. It's nice that all the jacks are at one end at least, so there is a little cable-dense patch there.
    Fair enough. Just fed up I have no room for it.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16669
    littlethoughts;262988" said:
    EricTheWeary said:

quick google says the Vox Delaylab is biggest then the Line 6 DL4 then the X4 ( which is almost half the height of the Delaylab oddly enough). So, its a bit smaller than the competition. I don't think you could have it much smaller and be useable. All the connections are around the back so if you have a two row pedal board you do need to leave a bit of space behind it for those.

I have the exact same pedal on the exact same board. Behind it I have a tc electronic trinity reverb, turned sideways. It's nice that all the jacks are at one end at least, so there is a little cable-dense patch there.
    Strangely familiar! I have the PSU tucked in behind my X4. I also have a Mini Spark, mine is on a little riser- mini pedals seemed like a good idea but mixed with reglar sized ones they are problematic. I have something incoming at the moment so I'll have a board make over then. The expression pedal for my X4 is also off board, an optional extra. :)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 

• Strangely familiar! I have the PSU tucked in behind my X4. I also have a Mini Spark, mine is on a little riser- mini pedals seemed like a good idea but mixed with reglar sized ones they are problematic. I have something incoming at the moment so I'll have a board make over then. The expression pedal for my X4 is also off board, an optional extra. :)
    Yeah man - I just checked yours out on the pedalboard thread - very nice! Might actually update mine on there :) You could definitely squeeze a HOF behind your X4 if you shifted the PSU along as well, it's not the best access but I figure reverb is usually on all the time/all of a song anyway. I know what you mean re: mixing sizes as well. I'd be tempted to get a smaller tremolo but actually the big footswitch on the Boss TR-2 is quite helpful because it's easy to hit on the back row and the recessed controls relative to the switch are unlikely to be kicked. Say what you like about Boss pedals but they are thoughtfully designed.