Ebay? Interested buyers?

What's Hot
Okay so how does this work then. Ebay ask if you want to send an offer to interested buyers. You have a dozen plus watches but only half a dozen classed as interested buyers...???
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LozboyLozboy Frets: 80
    edited February 2020
    I think it gets sent to all watchers. The problem I have found is that once sent,both sellers and watchers cannot make any other offers either way. Not sure if they can still pay full item price either. Also they cannot counter offer or refuse offer in the traditional way.
    Your offer has go its course. Correct me if I am wrong.

• Rich31kRich31k Frets: 820
    I was sent an offer by a seller recently that allowed me to counter offer. The mechanics seemed just like an offer made as a potential buyer. 
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Rich31k said:
    I was sent an offer by a seller recently that allowed me to counter offer. The mechanics seemed just like an offer made as a potential buyer. 
    Same here
  • Yes but what is the difference between a watcher and an interested buyer? Seems to me like not all watchers are interested buyers hence why the offer would only be sent to half my watchers and not all of them.
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 820
    I'm pretty certain the offer would be sent to all watchers. I think "interested buyer" is just a marketing phrase from eBay - trying to induce the seller to make an offer by changing the language. When I've sold things there was no distinction between a watcher and an interested buyer.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 634
    As much as I hate Ebay (for selling)  it's a good thing and how I bought my most recent amp, seller sent an offer to all watchers/interested buyers, I counter offered and it was accepted, everyone happy.

Maybe "interested buyer" differs from a watcher as they have feedback for similar type items?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1169
    Looks to me as though they’ve got something running to determine which of the watchers is actually interested, with multiple views, reading description etc., because the number of interested buyers is usually lower than the number of watchers in my experience 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5512
    Alex2678 said:
    Looks to me as though they’ve got something running to determine which of the watchers is actually interested, with multiple views, reading description etc., because the number of interested buyers is usually lower than the number of watchers in my experience 
    Agree, I've found same and I suspect it's algorithmic - could be a permissions thing too, never dug around but maybe if people have opted out of marketing communications then they cannot receive those offers...
  • Whitecat said:
    Alex2678 said:
    Agree, I've found same and I suspect it's algorithmic - could be a permissions thing too, never dug around but maybe if people have opted out of marketing communications then they cannot receive those offers...
    Yeah it has to be something like this because saying only half the people watching (probably less tbh) are actually interested is not a sales and marketing technique that I've ever come across   =)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23653

I had one of these offers from a seller recently, I hadn't received anything similar before (that I recall), is it a new thing?

In this case I had actually asked some questions about the guitar, maybe that's what triggered the offer?  I routinely watch loads of items but don't receive offers on them.

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5512
    Philly_Q said:

I had one of these offers from a seller recently, I hadn't received anything similar before (that I recall), is it a new thing?

In this case I had actually asked some questions about the guitar, maybe that's what triggered the offer?  I routinely watch loads of items but don't receive offers on them.

A seller has to instigate an offer - ebay doesn’t push it all that hard tbh. An option comes up in your seller panel, and not even all the time, seems to only happen after some time has passed. So lots of sellers likely just don’t bother, which is why you hardly get any. 
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1747
    edited February 2020
    I'm selling a guitar currently on Ebay - which isn't something I've done much previously.

I used the make offer option a couple of days ago, the offer I made went to 5 watchers and lasted for 48 hours.

After it expired, I had the option come up again - I have more watchers now, so I might give it another go and see if it goes out to everyone.

Lots of my ebay emails go straight to junk on my email, so I wouldn't be surprised if that happens to these offers.

I'll report back if anything interesting happens...

Cheers,
    Ben.
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2250
    I think its a bit of a waste of time to be honest. Watchers will get your one time offer of say 5% under the asking price, but if they were really interested they would of probably put in an offer anyway
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    It’s pushed me into one purchase. Came through then I countered and he accepted. Nice
  • Well I just received one, for a guitar I idly clicked on once in the last week. Some algorithm!