Machine head upgrades?

the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1844
Can anyone give an opinion on these Gotoh tuners that I've seen?

https://www.axesrus.co.uk/Gotoh-SG381-Machine-Heads-p/sg381-3x3.htm

They're to replace the very cheap ones on a guitar I recently bought. The existing ones seem to be rough in action, difficult to get the tuning to settle and bad at holding the tune once found.

The Gotohs seems remarkably cheap when compared to Grovers or Schallers so not sure if they'll actually be much of a step up.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I don't know about those in particular, but my understanding is that Gotoh is a decent brand.

I've heard too that the Axetec ones are very good:

They're even cheaper!

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12586
    Gotoh are an upgrade from basic tuners and will work fine.  I have bought a number of sets from Axes r us and always been pleased with them, axecaster are also good to deal with and use this board as do sixstringsupplies but I can't remember if he sells machine heads.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1844
    Cheers

Would a second hand set of Schallers be a higher quality option? Assuming they're in good nick.
  • the_jaffa said:
    Cheers

Would a second hand set of Schallers be a higher quality option? Assuming they're in good nick.
    Schallers are good but occasionally physically heavy. More importantly, try and match the screw hole to the existing ones.
  • I got some Gotoh ones on my 98 Squier Strat, they're much better than the stock ones.
    the_jaffa said:
    Cheers

Schallers are good but occasionally physically heavy. More importantly, try and match the screw hole to the existing ones.
    Yup, I've got that in my mental to-do list

I got some Gotoh ones on my 98 Squier Strat, they're much better than the stock ones.
    That's good to hear. Might give them a go and see. 

Cheers
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73068
    I don't think there's any significant quality difference between Schallers, Grovers and Gotohs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    I don't think there's any significant quality difference between Schallers, Grovers and Gotohs.
    Brilliant, that'll do as a recommendation.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    I've got a 37 year old set of gotoh just about to go on a strat build, they're still firm and smooth. 
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 642
    I've two sets of Gotoh's of similar vintage also still going strong
    I think I’m going to go with the Gotohs and see how they go