Broken Tele selector switch

What's Hot
bloomerbloomer Frets: 208
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any idea what might be wrong with this tele pickup selector switch. It doesn't have any tension on it, feels loose and doesn't click into place. I can only get the neck pickup (I think). I've taken the pickguard off and had a look and noticed a couple of things. The little spring you can see in the pic has no tension on it at all when you move the selector switch and the little metal contact that moves as a result of moving the selector switch doesn't make contact with any of the contacts that connect to the pots and pickups. Any thoughts?

https://i.imgur.com/D61hXie.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/apPUBZ5.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73068
    The bracket that supports the spring mechanism has come away from the top plate, the rotor has then been pushed sideways, bent the support on the other side and damaged the spring contacts.

It *might* be possible to fix it with a great deal of care, but it may never work perfectly even then - I would only even think about it if it's a valuable vintage guitar that's 100% original down to the solder joints. Otherwise, replace it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7126
    tFB Trader
    I've never been able to get an Oak Grigsby switch back together again.
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    Heres what's happened by the looks of it. The knock has caused the blade to go above the four small connectors instead of underneath like the photo on the right.

I've never been able to get an Oak Grigsby switch back together again.
    Nor me, but that's a CRL ;).

To be honest I think that one's had it. The rotor leaf on the other side must be bent as well for the hub to have been pushed through as far as that.

Has the guitar been shipped recently? That can happen when the switch is left in the middle position and pressure is put on it. A simple safety measure is to only ever ship a Tele with the switch in the bridge position, so the volume knob protects it. (The only good thing about them being so close together!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    edited February 2020
    It's the 1972 Thinline I just sent him via UPS. It's arrived like this, even though the guitar was wrapped in bubble wrap inside the hard case, and the hard case itself was wrapped in bubble wrap, and the cardboard box was packed out with even more packing. All that packing and it's still arrived with some selector switch damage. I'm livid.

Sounds like UPS... they managed to jump on a well-packed Rickenbacker a friend of mine bought, hard enough to crack the moulded RIC case through the thick layer of bubble wrap around it, and the neck of the guitar. There were literally bootprints all over the box.

• bloomerbloomer Frets: 208
    Thanks for the diagnosis @ICBM and @MikeS. Firstly, I was totally happy with how the guitar was packed and I wouldn't have done any differently. I wouldn't have thought about making sure the switch was in the back position either. It was indeed UPS. They must have put an absolutely enormous amount of weight on it to cause it to bend. Lucky it isn't a Gibson. I'm guessing it would be more hassle than it's worth to make a claim? Although this will take the value of the guitar down significantly more than just the cost of a new switch at most I suppose they might compensate to the tune of a new switch.

I'll have a go at salvaging it tomorrow but failing that any recommendations for what new one to get?
  • bloomer said:
    Thanks for the diagnosis @ICBM and @MikeS. Firstly, I was totally happy with how the guitar was packed and I wouldn't have done any differently. I wouldn't have thought about making sure the switch was in the back position either. It was indeed UPS. They must have put an absolutely enormous amount of weight on it to cause it to bend. Lucky it isn't a Gibson. I'm guessing it would be more hassle than it's worth to make a claim? Although this will take the value of the guitar down significantly more than just the cost of a new switch at most I suppose they might compensate to the tune of a new switch.

I'll have a go at salvaging it tomorrow but failing that any recommendations for what new one to get?
    Not sure what the policy is with UPS but most couriers will only allow you to claim for loss if a musical instrument goes missing, not damage.
    bloomer said:

It will affect the value of the guitar a bit if it was all-original before this, but the good news is that they didn't break the pickguard - which is a far more valuable part and not considered a 'wear item' like a switch is, so a replaced one on a vintage instrument is a far bigger deal.

The switch you need is a CRL, which they still make almost identical to that one, except that the plating will look too new and shiny so will be obviously a replacement. Probably no point in making a claim - the repair cost will be less than the excess.

For the Rickenbacker with the broken case and neck - and pickguard - after a lot of argument UPS finally gave compensation... £100. Absolutely insulting given what they'd done to it - and if the buyer hadn't been a luthier, far less than the repair cost.

• andrewawardandrewaward Frets: 1157
    edited February 2020
    I'd replace it with a period correct switch , no promises but I might have an original one you can have, will check tomorrow
    Thanks very much @andrewaward if you get chance to have a look that would be most appreciated. 

I'm in two minds about making a claim but agree it's almost certainly not worth it. I'll be thinking twice before sending any guitars via UPS in future.
  • I have a friend with literally boxes full of old Fender switches and pots - he was one of the UK’s leading guitar repairers. He’s in Australia for a few weeks - but if you don’t get sorted, let me know. Pretty much certain he’ll have something from the correct period.
  • Sorry @bloomer had a check and don't have an exact one
    No worries @andrewaward ; thanks very much for looking. 

@richardhomer thank you i will most likely be in touch!