SD Custom Custom

What's Hot
dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
I have 3 Strat style guitars with 'buckers in the bridge but they are all fairly standard PAF style and output is best described as warm. I'd like to put something a bit warmer in one (currently has a generic ceramic job in it), and a quick look shows the SD Custom Custom looks a reasonable bet as it seems to stays in PAF territory without going over totally the top. 

Has anyone tried one of these or something similar in output?. I'm open to ideas so, gentlemen, your' thoughts, please?.

Ta.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73068
    It's a very thick-sounding, middy pickup - the relatively weak alnico II magnet offsets the higher winding quite a lot compared to most other high-output pickups which usually have alnico V or ceramic. It's good in brighter-sounding guitars like Superstrats.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14776
    The SD Custom, Custom 5 and Custom Custom are the same coils, sitting atop different magnet materials. These are, respectively, ceramic A5 and A2. The latter two were arrived at by experimentation by members of the Seymour Duncan User Group forum.

Do not accept my word for this. Compare the published specifications. Read the story on the SDUGF or on the SD website blog pages.

In a Fender-derived guitar design, I prefer the Custom 5. For your stated purpose, I reckon that it would be worth trying an A4 or un-oriented A5 bar magnet.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Screamin' Demon is excellent in a Strat bridge position. Not as fire-breathing as the name implies but juicy, articulate and sustaining.

This is a pretty good demo with some heavy rock tones ...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Screamin' Demon is a good call. 

How about the UK makers? e.g. Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog Plus.
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    Many thanks for your suggestions chaps, much appreciated. 

One thing I forgot to mention is that my amp is a HRDIII in case that is a factor, so @ICBM if the CC is a middy pup, it may work well. 

Thanks again.

dilbert  

• I'm a Custom Custom fanboy and have a couple in maple fretboard guitars currently. I've had good experiences with Ash's A2 Nightfighter as well. DiMarzio's Air Zone is in the same neck of the woods imo too.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    I had one in my strat copy. It’s really thick and warm sounding, borderline muddy. I think I prefer the Custom 5 - a bit more scooped sounding but still more “classic” than metal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TTBZ said:
    [Custom Custom] thick and warm sounding, borderline muddy. ...
    Custom 5 - a bit more scooped sounding but still more “classic” than metal.
    Split the difference. Sand cast UOA5.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    edited March 2020
    TTBZ said:
    [Custom Custom] thick and warm sounding, borderline muddy. ...
    Custom 5 - a bit more scooped sounding but still more “classic” than metal.
    Split the difference. Sand cast UOA5.
    That might do it the great thing about these pickups is you can try any of the Custom range with a £5 and 5 minute magnet swap. I did like the Custom 8 in my SG as recommended by most of the SD forum. Quite tempted to go for one again if I can find a cheap Custom.
  • TTBZ said:
    I had one in my strat copy. It’s really thick and warm sounding, borderline muddy. I think I prefer the Custom 5 - a bit more scooped sounding but still more “classic” than metal.
    I had a Custom 5 in a Modern Player Tele. It was a huge improvement on the stock Fender pickup, and as @TTBZ says, quite scooped sounding but not stupidly hot output. I liked it a lot, but I swapped the guitar for my Performance fairly quickly after it was installed, so I didn't really get a chance to get to know it properly
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• WillieWillie Frets: 2
    Would you recommend Custom Custom in an airy Les Paul for bridge position?
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 642
    The CC is quite fat. I swapped the magnet ti an A5 fairly quickly as I'm not a massive fan of totally different sounding neck and bridge pickups.