Mint condition...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1633
    Well he's not going to like that redundant comma for a start off!

It's a dramatic pause!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    I grow mint but sometimes I get brown spots - I don't want that shit on my gear though thanks...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I've got no problem with it. How else would you describe it? "Not mint because it has a ding but if it didn't have a ding it would be mint"? How is that not the same thing?
    So you're OK with something like: 'mint except for repaired headstock break and buckle rash'?  If it didn't have a headstock break and buckle rash it would be mint :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Never describe anything as mint, because if you list something as mint, you are going to attract the type of buyer who would reject the guitar because of it's factory faults from new, so basically you are setting yourself up for one major headache.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited June 2014

I have a Tele I bought a few years ago..sold as "mint condition" it was apart from a few dinks (none had broke paint but were very noticeable. The knurled metal knobs had black crap all over 'em still not totally out even now..and the bridge pup had rusty poles. I managed to get £50 by way of a refund rather than send the guitar back but he wasn't happy thought I was being a cnut. I left him + feedback despite this after I thought we resolved it due to his dishonest listing details...but well I never got any feedback from him + or -  ....no pleasing some folks eh. I'd have listed that guitar myself as "very good condition" never in a million years would the word mint have been used in any listing detail.  And of course pics can be very deceiving...as a lot of quite noticeable imperfections when in your hands seem totally invisible on pics. Don't use the word mint for anything less than totally as new ie you'd believe it was new if it was in a shop as all you are doing is setting yourself up for a fall. A bit like "none more black" lol..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited June 2014
    eBay currently has 1,036 results for "mint condition" in electric guitars

EDIT: Some of these say "near mint" or "don't expect mint condition" 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    ICBM said:
    Something is either flawless or it isn't. No qualifiers with an absolute.
    It's only an absolute if not qualified! That's the whole point of the qualifier, or it wouldn't exist in language.
    But not everything can be qualified. 'Unique' for example! ;-)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72979
    Gagaryn said:
    ICBM said:
    Something is either flawless or it isn't. No qualifiers with an absolute.
    It's only an absolute if not qualified! That's the whole point of the qualifier, or it wouldn't exist in language.
    But not everything can be qualified. 'Unique' for example! ;-)
    It can, but it would be really stretching a point :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    I've just ripped open a packet of Polos. It's no longer in mint condition....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27661
    mellowsun said:
    I've got no problem with it. How else would you describe it? "Not mint because it has a ding but if it didn't have a ding it would be mint"? How is that not the same thing?
    So you're OK with something like: 'mint except for repaired headstock break and buckle rash'?  If it didn't have a headstock break and buckle rash it would be mint :)
    Well from a language point of view it makes sense, assuming the front of the guitar is perfect, including fretwork etc.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    black and red.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72979
    Black apart from the red pixel.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Black apart from the red pixel.
    Exactly. 

What else does the phrase "apart from" indicate??
    Gagaryn said:
    black and red.
    Exactly.
    edited June 2014

mellowsun said:
    Well from a language point of view it makes sense, assuming the front of the guitar is perfect, including fretwork etc.

What is this?

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Red, apart from a lot of black pixels.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom