Locking tuners for 7 string guitar

What's Hot
Leo_ljLeo_lj Frets: 0
Hi, 

I have a 7 string Ibanez RGIF7 (the one with fanned frets). I'm looking to change the standard tuners to a locking tuners. I've looked through the internet, read lots of posts and I've watched dozens of videos but I still don't with locking tuners to buy and whether they will match my guitar. Can anyone help please?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1044
    I've got the Gotoh Magnum locking tuners on my AZ...they're a bit fiddly as you have to stick something in the notch on top whilst turning the tuner to unlock/lock, and I find them a slight pain in the arse. My Vigier has ones where you just turn a thing on the bottom which are much easier...I don't know what brand they are, might be Vigiers own, but I'd go for ease of use. Something where you have a simple twisty/turny thing, rather than having to faff about with holding things in place, is definitely easier! The Gotoh ones are much more self-contained though, and look like regular tuners. The ones on the Vigier are really chunky out the bottom end, but as nobody sees that part I don't really care. 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited March 2020
    Neil @GluedtoMusic is incredibly helpful and stocks Gotoh Tuners.
    Website is Here...

I'd ask him if he knows which fitment you need?

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7429
    I've got sperzels on mine but wouldn't recommend. Th tuning jumps all over when you try tune, and the design is pretty annoying. If you accidentally undo the thumb screw too much it all falls apart and the pin drops on your carpet.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2475
    I'd recommend Hipshot. They do 7 string sets (unlike lots of brands where you have to buy a 6 set plus one), and they drill the 7th tuner to take a wider string.
    Tim
  • GluedtoMusicGluedtoMusic Frets: 74
    edited March 2020 tFB Trader
    Thanks @Alnico

@Leo_lj I believe the RGIF7 uses pin mounted tuners so you would need to drill the headstock to fit Gotohs (I'm not aware of any branded pin mounted tuners that would fit the Ibanez),

For the 4x3 headstock you would need a set of 3x3 and one single right handed tuner, we have them available at the links below,

Set,

Single,

I've got the Gotoh Magnum locking tuners on my AZ...they're a bit fiddly as you have to stick something in the notch on top whilst turning the tuner to unlock/lock,
    My Vigier has ones where you just turn a thing on the bottom which are much easier
    The AZ has Gotoh's original auto locking tuners rather than their standard thumbwheel locking tuners (although you should only have to hold the top steady if you have broken a string, if you are changing unbroken strings you should just be able to detune the string and it will unlock itself automatically).

Supplier of Gotoh, Fender, Gibson, Faber, Schaller, Hipshot, Floyd Rose, TonePros, Graph Tech, Hosco luthier tools and many more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom