Adjustable pole pieces.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73037
    Question...seems like it's not a good idea to try and move set poles on a vintage stagger strat pickup, what about grinding them down? Mine are fender texmex. Looking closely they're not totally smooth you can see file marks.
    If you do that you'll demagnetise them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31925
    brucegill said:
    p90fool said:
    Adjustable pole pieces? Throw 'em in the bin, dammit!

Wtf? What pickups are they? P90 under a humbuckers cover? 
    There's a Mojo Goldfoil at the neck and an old underwound Kent Armstrong Firebird pickup at the neck, hidden under humbucker covers. 
    It's a great combination. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    ICBM said:
    Question...seems like it's not a good idea to try and move set poles on a vintage stagger strat pickup, what about grinding them down? Mine are fender texmex. Looking closely they're not totally smooth you can see file marks.
    If you do that you'll demagnetise them.

Yeah that's what I was wondering. Ah well not to worry. Thanks anyway. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 725
    p90fool said:
    brucegill said:
    p90fool said:
    Adjustable pole pieces? Throw 'em in the bin, dammit!

Wtf? What pickups are they? P90 under a humbuckers cover? 
    There's a Mojo Goldfoil at the neck and an old underwound Kent Armstrong Firebird pickup at the neck, hidden under humbucker covers. 
    It's a great combination. :)
    Nice! Like the plain top too
    Thanks, it was a gold top but that mostly fell off.
    :)
    edited March 2020
    p90fool said:

Cool guitar. Looks like a nice bit of wood considering it was covered up. What did you refinish it with?
    p90fool said:

Cool guitar. Looks like a nice bit of wood considering it was covered up. What did you refinish it with?

Northwest guitars nitro. I was planning to do a blacktop or something tbh, I didn't expect a 2012 Goldtop to have a nice, 2-piece centre-joined top with a hint of flame, I was fully expecting to have to cover up a load of joins and knots.
    p90fool said:
    p90fool said:

Northwest guitars nitro. I was planning to do a blacktop or something tbh, I didn't expect a 2012 Goldtop to have a nice, 2-piece centre-joined top with a hint of flame, I was fully expecting to have to cover up a load of joins and knots.

Looks cool. You just don't know what you'll find with Gibson!  :)
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    It used to be internet gospel that 50s humbucker Gibsons came with the polepieces set up in a zigzag pattern.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7125
    tFB Trader
    clarkefan said:
    It used to be internet gospel that 50s humbucker Gibsons came with the polepieces set up in a zigzag pattern.
    There was a Dan Erlewine article where he does that. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73037
    There was a Dan Erlewine article where he does that. 
    Strange, he doesn’t strike me as the sort of man to go for that sort of mystical bullshit...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein