0% finance credit

What's Hot
If you qualify for some credit one month for an item, but then change your mind and get a refund, the next time you want credit, are they more likely to decline? This just happened to me and I'm a bit baffled. Basically I got a Kemper a while back, didn't want to keep it so reversed the whole lot. Now I want to upgrade my soundcard, and was hoping to get the 0% 9 months credit, but they declined it. Bit annoying, and I don't understand how they came to that decision.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    It's possible. 

Lots of things can damage your credit rating even things like getting a credit check on a mortgage, but not actually taking up the mortgage can make you less likely to be approved next time. 

Might be worth getting a credit report done.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Bah. That is annoying. I'm feckin' good for it as well! >:P

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Each time you get credit checked it goes against you
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I'll just have to sell my current card before I get the new one I guess. *grumpy*
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5537
    Tesco do a credit card with 18 months 0% on new purchases.
    Might be an option?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited September 2013
    I'm a total rate tart, and haven't paid any credit card interest for many years. I've just got a new Nat West card that has 15 month interest free in purchases, check it out. http://www.natwest.com/personal/credit-cards/g1/platinum-low-balance-transfer-fee.ashx

EDIT - this is good for balance transfers, which is what I do all the time.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Frets: 136
    edited September 2013
    If you have multiple credit checks done (one is done each time you apply for credit) but have no record of having then taken out credit, it creates a 'foot-print' on your credit record which implies you may not be credit-worthy.

Some credit providers do a 'credit score', where what the lender is looking for is a history of satisfactorily 'managing' debts. In other words, you get a higher score if you have debt which you have made payments on, as and when they were due, than you would have done if you had always been debt free.

Eperian and other credit reference agencies will sell you your credit report relatively cheaply, which will tell you for sure what the issue is.
  • Eperian and other credit reference agencies will sell you your credit report relatively cheaply, which will tell you for sure what the issue is.
    Sell? They should damn well tell you for nothing!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Frets: 136
    edited September 2013
    Phil_aka_Pip;25365" said:
    Sell? They should damn well tell you for nothing!
    That's business....

Friend of mine who used to own a guitar shop used to characterise relationships with banks as 'if you owe them £1000 and can't pay, you've got a problem. If you owe them £1,000,000 and can't pay they've got a problem'.

If you need credit and can't get it, you need to find out if there's something incorrect on your credit record, making you appear a bad risk. If you are a bad risk, you are a bad risk....

The credit reference agencies are in business to make money either way....