NGD. 1980 Les Paul. Any Gibson experts help required

What's Hot
FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4308
edited March 2020 in Guitar
The big 40 is coming up in a few months so I thought I’d treat myself to a birth year Les Paul 

Been looking for a while but couldn’t find one that i really fancied then this beauty came up just 30 mins drive up the road  Tim shaw pups are awesome 

Any Gibson Les Paul experts can tell me what model it is as I’ve looked around online and can not find this particular model 

It doesn’t have ‘Les Paul’ written on the headstock and has a different emblem in it’s place that I’ve not seen before. 

Also the headstock binding is a Les Paul custom type binding though the body has regular binding 

Seller says it may have been a custom/special order as was bought back from the states back in 1982

https://imgur.com/a/PBCnorb
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7340
    tFB Trader
    Looks like the neck from the Les Paul Artist?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4308
    edited March 2020
    That  what I first thought until I realised the artist model had the moog type synth switches etc. 

Edit: It is a different emblem to the artist model
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7340
    edited March 2020 tFB Trader
    Ah yes the Les Paul Artist had a different inlay to the RD and 335. 

Could be that it's an employee guitar who put an unusual facing on the headstock?
  • Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited March 2020
    RD Artist neck grafted onto a Standard body, perhaps after a neck break?

The RD Artist guitar and bass had a unique new "Flying f-hole" headstock inlay design. It was created by Gibson design artist Chuck Burge - an f-shaped soundhole with wings, and a lightning bolt in it's center to represent the active nature of the instruments.

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20530
    Inlay definitely said 'Artist' to me, but no additional controls on the body or routing for the electronics.
    Headstock shot of Artist from https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?167322-1979-Gibson-ES-Artist
    A maple neck though?
    Definitely a nice looking guitar.

• It’s a truly awesome guitar and I’m so happy with it. Would be great to know more about it 
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1703
    Not sure they will be Shaw humbuckers. I think they came in a year or two after 1980.  Nice looking guitar though!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    I've never seen one quite like that before either, but I don't have any doubt it's a genuine factory-made Gibson. There are too many little details and features that are correct for it not to be, even if the overall guitar may be a non-standard 'model' or even unique. I would also guess it's some kind of custom order or employee special, but I could be wrong!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Not sure they will be Shaw humbuckers. I think they came in a year or two after 1980.  Nice looking guitar though!
    The Shaw era was 80-86 so they’re definitely in that era whatever they are. I’ve not taken things apart yet to have a good look on the back 
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    https://troglysguitarshow.com/

If anyone can figure out exactly what it is he'll be able to. 
  • Seller had two dealers chasing for this as well. 

One of them was a well known store that wanted it for a collector so there’s clearly something to it 
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2778
    If you like it, BUY IT !!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Adey said:
    If you like it, BUY IT !!!
    Exactly! :)

I just wanted a great playing 1980 Les Paul that looked lovely too. Love the natural laquer checking on the body and headstock 
  • The Tim shaws should have stamped numbers and inked numbers on the back.

Nice guitar very unique! 
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1703
    Post it in this thread on the LP Forum:

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?200964-Where-are-they-now

Strings Jr worked at Gibson around that time and kept records of the guitars he worked on. You might be lucky. Also check Shaw humbucker dates with him, plus of course pop them out and have a look. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20530
    Show us your cavities. You know you want to expose all your hidden secrets to us, you saucy minx  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve joined a few Gibson FB groups and posted in there too. Hopefully they’ll be someone that may have more information 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10930
    Show us your cavities. You know you want to expose all your hidden secrets to us, you saucy minx  ;)
    *rubs knees*