Lessons - how often, and how long?

What's Hot
DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
I've decided that the time has finally come for to actually get some lessons. I want to work on my technique and learn some theory.

I've been playing on and off a good while, but really want to step up a bit.

With that in mind, what is the best amount of lessons to have per week, and for how long? Is one hour long lesson better than two half hours, for example?

At the moment I'm thinking about a single hour long lesson a week, but not sure that's enough. Of course I could ask the teacher, but recent experience with a personal trainer tells me they're just going to suggest as many as possible to get the most money!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14763
    tFB Trader
    Probably not one fixed answer on this

I also think how much home work you are given + how much you take on board and work will come into play

A good teacher and 1 lesson can be better than a poor teacher and 10 lessons 

You need to find a teacher you can bond with and help you - Speak about what the goals and tasks are - I hear from many players, that many teachers dictate about what they want to teach you and not about what you want to learn - Especially with technique and theory I appreciate there is an A to B route that needs to be applied, you you still need to give some input as to what the end game needs to be as well

More specific goals and tasks and less waffle will help
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2046
    One hour a week is plenty.  It'll take a decent practice regime to make the most of that information.  I find if students don't do any work in between lessons you just end up going over old ground.

If you consider fifty episodes of important information over a year, combined with diligent practice, imagine how far you could progress in a year just on one hour a week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 629
    I went once a week for an hour for about 18 months it really brought my playing on. Several of my open mic/Jam buddies have since started lessons with my teacher, which is quite a compliment to us both I think :)
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10536
    I generally teach 1 hour a week to a student unless they are very young in which case it's 1\2 hour a week due to their shorter attention span. I would say 1\2 hour is too short for a decent adult lesson 

In terms of getting the most from the hour regarding the theory it's all about paying attention and then applying yourself and completing the homework so you really understand what's going on
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    1 hour a week is loads.  What matters most IMHO is how much practice you can do in the intervening period.  When I was taking lessons I would postpone the next one if I hadn’t the chance to decently work on my homework in the meantime.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Thanks all, sounds like I have the right idea, just need to make sure I keep up with the homework and find someone I gel with. Appreciate the help!
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13037

The most important thing is to practice regularly between lessons.

far better spending fifteen minutes a day properly practicing (not just noodling) than spending four hours one day a week.

• Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 328
    When I was taking classical lessons, I started at 1 hour per week, but I dropped it to 1 hour every two weeks, once I had been doing it for a while, as I realistically couldn't get enough practice time in to really get the benefit out of a 1 hour session, every week. Shorter than an hour (for me) wasn't enough to get a solid session in, so I kept the lessons to 1 hour, but decreased the frequency.

I should stress, I was practicing a fair bit, at that time, too. I went from about 2 hours+ a day down to about 1 hour of focused practice, every day, because of work/study commitments. But that was a proper solid hour of focused practice, no noodling.

I think it depends on what kind of material the tutor is giving you, and how quickly you can assimilate it. Some people practice a lot, or are a quick study. I know that (personally) I can maintain a fair bit of focus in a practice session, but I just don't have time to practice that often. YMMV.
  • DeeTee said:
    I've decided that the time has finally come for to actually get some lessons. I want to work on my technique and learn some theory.

I've been playing on and off a good while, but really want to step up a bit.

With that in mind, what is the best amount of lessons to have per week, and for how long? Is one hour long lesson better than two half hours, for example?

At the moment I'm thinking about a single hour long lesson a week, but not sure that's enough. Of course I could ask the teacher, but recent experience with a personal trainer tells me they're just going to suggest as many as possible to get the most money!
    You need to have a clear goal/idea of what you want to achieve before you embark on lessons. There is a load of free stuff out there to help you learn but a personal tutor will be far better as long as you know and he/she knows where to steer. Good luck mate  :)
    tFB Trader

The most important thing is to practice regularly between lessons.

far better spending fifteen minutes a day properly practicing (not just noodling) than spending four hours one day a week.

I don't practice what I preach but I've agreed with this principle for many years
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7352
    Teach guitar rather than take lessons! Seriously, I am a much better player because of it!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    tFB Trader
    57Deluxe said:
    Teach guitar rather than take lessons! Seriously, I am a much better player because of it!
    Not the 1st time I've heard such a phrase
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1044
    An hour a week for adults/half an hour for kids is generally what I do, and is about the right amount. It can vary a bit - I have a 12 year old doing 45 minutes who's very keen, and who could easily do an hour, but equally I have a couple of adults who do 30 minutes and that's definitely enough for them. It really is down to the amount of practice you're willing to put in, and the spare time you have to fit that in (just playing and noodling doesn't count ;) ). Try an hour a week, and if you're progressing and that's not enough, ask for more.