Naming your guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    edited March 2020
    No as a rule ,except an ivory hss  strat I built myself I call my fat blonde and a 87 Gibson Junior everyone calls affectionately ,Betty, cause its ugly. Crackin guitar though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't name my guitars. I love them, but they're bits of wood with strings on. In a fire there are plenty of other things I'd save first 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I name my Strat Eric and my Telecaster Keef for obvious reasons. Although I may change the name of my Strat to Stevie. For the same, obvious reasons.
  • Got a couple of dozen but only four have names

One, Two, Three and Animal.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 998
    My Gordon-Smith Gypsy i used to refer to as Giddy. This is before I realised Gordon Statham had left and named his brand Gordy. I generally refer to it as "the Gordon-Smith" these days.

My 74 SG Special I used to refer to as Angus. I generally refer to it as "the SG".

None of the others that have passed through my hands or stayed have had names.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2275
    Mine are named

The Les Paul
    The strat
    The gretsch
    The ric
    The archtop

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1550
    To add another name, though the guitar hasnt been built yet I intend to at least start it this year (and hopefully finished in time for Chrimbo..... A double neck 6+12 in mahog/rippled ash. Anyway, in keeping with my theme of naming guitars for my two boys, this one will be

"The Almighty Smiley Thor"

For reasons.

Adam
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    I have a Ibanez Artcore AF 105 jazz box called Boxy. I have a red Fender Stratosonic called Big Red - and I have a PRS CU24 that once had a broken neck, so I call it Bert Trautmann...
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7363
    I dont usually but im kinda tempted to start naming them after forumites to piss people off :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I dont usually but im kinda tempted to start naming them after forumites to piss people off :)
    I think the average number of guitars owned buy members of this forum is > the number of female members so you'll have to name some of them after men.
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    We named my mate's warlock Chlamydia - such a pretty name 
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 483
    I've never named any of my guitars, but my 7 year old son has christened my most recent acquisition - a gorgeous 59 'burst replica - 'the Sunshine guitar', which I kinda like  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I call all my women after guitars. Fenders are thin and boney but go like the clappers, archtops who are full bodied with big tits, Les Pauls who are all for show and no blow etc...
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5107
    If I had a fretless guitar I’d call it fretfinder...  :)
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24845
    Sums up my feelings about naming guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyURPI92PkU

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    KevS said:
    Japanese Candy Apple Red Tele shortened to Candy..Or the Magic Tele on account of it's Tone..
    I have bought a New Body for a Tele that was known as The Boat Anchor..
    It will now be known as the Thinline..
    A Mexican Classic Strat,,,,or it started off as that that I have had for a long time,20 Years and has been through the wars a bit..
    It is Lake Placid Blue is known as Old Blue..
    Les Paul Standard in Transparent Amber called Amber..
    Other guitars are known by Finish then Model or just Model..
    The Sunburst Classic..Old 1960 style Les Paul Classic in lightburst..
    Oh but then there is Petunia the Junia (Junior) in a New Yoik Accent..
    It is a sort of Leslie West reference that though and a silly rhyme..I'm Scottish not from New York by the way..
    Stock Pick up,Satin Finished economy Gibson..Complete Tone Monster..
    Something that was cheap but good is the Wee 70s Tribute..Les Paul 70s Tribute with changed Pickups..
    I guess there is less wood there,so it's called the Wee,,never analysed that till now though..
    Petunia also gets called the Wee Junior..
    Most of my Electric Guitars have changed pick ups....

So most of the names are shortened ways of naming them if I have more than one Tele say.,
    or affectionate names...
    I do Love some of them though and if I lost those I would be devastated.. 
    Sometimes you pick up a guitar and you know it is a really good one right from the start....
    You spend a lot of time with your guitars,so there is that attachment..
    I tend to take mine out of the cases when using them as I have a dehumidifier in the room they are in.
    .I actually lost one because of humidity and nearly lost others..
    I remember and get excited at what good guitars they are when they get into my hands,,I feel so lucky to own them..S
    ome I am more luke warm about,,they serve a purpose....
    You get Good Strats,you get decent Strats,You get OK Strats say..
    You of course get Amazing ones too..My Mexican Classic ,Tone and Feel wise kills A USA Standard Strat I have..
    Old Blue is in many ways now a mongrel though,,refretted with a 9.5 camber etc..
    I have some guitars that play so well for me,I treasure them more than the expensive ones..
    I wouldn't swap them for 4 times what they are worth,maybe not at all,,a good guitar is a good guitar..
    That means more than how high it is in the line or it's financial value..
    My Les Paul Standard is good,but my Les Paul Classic which was cheaper is outstanding..
    Changed Pickups again on both..
    So is that 70s Tribute..Those special guitars if I lost them or had to let go would devastate me..
    So you get Amazing,Good,Luke Warm and then duffers of the same model,,regardless of price..
    Every Guitar is different,,even ones that are only divided by one serial number..
    So often the coolest looking only get as far as the luke warm category,or Lower in the case of a Gretsch I owned...
    So yes,,I do love some of my guitars..
    They are much more lovable than plenty of Human Beings,in fact they can act as an antidote to many Human Beings..

Some I am a bit more careful with than others,some have a fair old bit of playing wear and are even better for it..
    I can understand people naming guitars I suppose if they are special ones..
    I know they are just bits of wood,but the plainest bit of wood can end up being a really special guitar..
    There seems to be an element of chance as to how a guitar turns out..
    They are what they are..
    The flashest looking can often be real duffers..

Just my experience. of course.. 

Weirdest post I've seen in in a long while..
    Paragraphs are your friend..
    double full stops.. Strange..
    much digression..
    Weird..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    I have never named any guitar that I bought. I have however named the 5 that I have built. As I have a gazillion files on my computer it became necessary to give a name to each project to facilitate the finding of the many computer files that get scattered everywhere due to my hopeless filing. Thus I have Angel, Chi Rho, Mateus, Latreia and headless. Yeah, headless didn't get a proper name, that worked OK.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23583
    Sums up my feelings about naming guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyURPI92PkU

That's the first bit of Game of Thrones I've ever seen.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2177
    I admit I did assign names to my guitars, but I'm damned if I can remember them tbh. 
    Although i have sentimental attachment to some, in the cold light of day they are just bits of wood with metal on. 
    I do refer to my heavy commuting work bicycle as a "piece of shit" and myself as " fat fuck", that's more of a ronnie Coleman "light weight" vein.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • CorvaldtCorvaldt Frets: 7
    edited March 2020
    p90fool said:
    I don't care what people call their guitars, but when someone hands me a two year old run-of-the-mill polyester-covered plank which plops off the production line at the rate of 400 units a day and says "be careful with Mary, she's my baby", where exactly am I supposed to look?

Answer me that, you freaks.

You look at the guitar, you make some kind of generalised positive comment ‘the neck feels great, really playable’ then you carefully hand it back. That cheap guitar might be the most expensive thing they own, it might have been a present from a loved one, and it has most likely been true to them through some bad emotions and good, and will do so for some time to come. If anyone was to take that pride and support away from them it would be a real shame, quite cruel even, so be kind. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom