Anyone to service my pickup?

What's Hot
Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
Don’t usually venture into this side
Can anyone service this pickup? I don’t want the pickup itself re-wound Crackly pots, tone knob doesn’t do anything and Leeds need extending/replacing. That or a recommendation 
Thanks

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_CPhil_C Frets: 278
    @ICBM  ? :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73011
    I could do it, but you would be better to find someone local - it would be best to mount it all properly in the guitar, or at least make some sort of detachable pickguard/bracket if you don’t want to drill holes. As it is it won’t be reliable.

It also needs completely rewiring with shielded cable really - I’m slightly surprised it’s even usable as it is, with the amount of noise it must be picking up!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    ‘It’s a bit noisy.... sounds great though. The host guitar isn’t quite ready. Surely it needs overhauling before it gets installed 
    Andy79 said:
    ‘It’s a bit noisy.... sounds great though. The host guitar isn’t quite ready. Surely it needs overhauling before it gets installed 
    It's better to do it all at once with the guitar to hand, that way you can optimise the wiring lengths for the control positions and make a loom so it's all neat and solid.

Using shielded wiring won't change the tone with the lengths there. The coil itself is already shielded by the metal casing, that's what makes the most difference to the tone - the wiring makes more to the noise level.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7877
    I really think you're better off getting a proper modern replacement. 
    No way
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    I know Jaime at the creamery in Manchester does restoration work. He makes stellar pickups to. Sure ICBM would do a fantastic job. Not sure who to recommend in the SW. Good luck
    I really think you're better off getting a proper modern replacement. 
    No, all these old pickups have unique sounds which are nothing like a modern one. I would definitely make it work properly by fitting shielded cable, new pots if it needs them, etc - but leave the pickup itself alone.

I'd still be willing to do it if there's no-one nearer, but I still think it's better to find someone local who can do the whole job with the guitar to hand.

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited March 2020
    Looks like a pretty straightforward job tbh. Depending on what's wrong with the tone control? Not cost much for new pots or take them off and give them a good clean.
    It would be tidier (meaning quieter) if you know exactly where you want the controls and the length of the wires. 

Before you do anything I'd take some good pics of it as it is.
    I can definitely say how long the cables need to be etc. Can only be a pot or cap for the tone control. I think it’s coming your way ICBM.....