Squier CV Jaguar - fine without mods?

Hiya. 

I have a hankering to try a budget Jag after playing a posh one in a local shop. 

I loved the feel, the short scale and the sound. 

Not keen on the Player versions and the next expensive guitar will probably be another Japanese  Ibanez or a  Strat, but the Jag intrigues me. 

The Squier's look great but I have read a lot about potential shortcomings on cheaper offsets - necks requiring shims, bridges needing replacing etc....

Could any owners give me the benefit of their experience as to quality out of the box?

I'm expecting to pay for a basic set up anyway, but just after some info as to what might be required. 

Many thanks in advance. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27679
    I gigged one for a bit. The only change I made was to add graphtech saddles. Staytrem or Mastery would be better, but the saddles are only about 30 quid. Though I did also shim the neck a fair bit.

The shim thing is a Jag/JM issue, not a Squier one (same goes for the bridge, for that matter). 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14735
    ... hankering to try a budget Jag ... I loved the feel, the short scale and the sound. 
    Which of these is your priority? 

The same short scale is offered on other Squier and Fender guitars without the shortcomings of the budget bridge and tailpiece hardware. For instance, the Duo-Sonic and several Mustang variants. 

It might help to know which "posh" variant of Jaguar you tried. Some of these leave the Fender GB distribution centre with skinny strings and a set-up that do not do the design justice.

Jag enthusiasts tend to achieve the best possible string tension by a combination of a relatively steep neck pitch angle and big strings. Unless you have tried a budget Jaguar set-up this way, it is probably unwise to purchase brand new.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • RustySpannerRustySpanner Frets: 553
    edited March 2020
    As far as I know it was an American Professional. 

The main priority is the sound.  I thoroughly enjoyed the tone of the Fender. 

I have a shorter scale Vintage VS6, an Ibanez RG550 and a Squier Tele Custom II, both with longer scale lengths. 
    Enjoy both,  but enjoyed the feel of the Jag and fancy something a little different. 

I shall try the Mustang and Duo Sonic, both Squier and Fender variants. 

Thanks for the responses.

• Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    I've had a Squier vintage modified jag (which these essentially are). It was great, and no massive downgrade to the other jags I've since owned (US thin skin, American Original, Marr jags).

Got my eye on one of those fsr shell pink ones incoming at Andertons.