Metronome and 3 note per string lick?

What's Hot
Louiss97Louiss97 Frets: 2
edited April 2021 in Guitar
I've got a 6 note, 3 per string, lick I'm using to help me get faster overall.

My issue is I don't know how to setup my metronome app for a 6 note, 3 per string, lick specifically with the idea of just using this simple lick to slowly build my speed. Sonneries mp3

I mean there are a lot of different ways to do this, from 4/4 time, to 3/4 time, to straight beat (1/4), triplets played over a 2/4 or straight beat...etc.  And I know I could use any and all of those.  My question is, which setup would be best for simplicity's sake in addition to building the right habbit(s) now with my metro nome?
sonneries guitare: https://sonneriesgratuite.com/guitare/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• How would you play the lick in the context of a song/solo? If you'd play it as triplets, practise it that way - if you'd play it as 6 quarter or 8th notes, practise it like that.

Or, do both! I play a lot of triplets when I speed up, and I'm now trying to get better at playing 8th/16th notes - picking direction when changing strings, note choice when you have to play more notes in a given time, etc.

Tl;dr, find a suitable tempo and then do both straight quarter/8th notes, and triplet versions :)
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1375
    Similar to above, are there any notes in this six note phrase that are accented, as this might well influence the time signature that you might wish to use. If it's simply a whole six note sequence, then time signatures that six notes fit in equally would be the obvious ones ... 3/4, 6/8, 12/8.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • danowensdanowens Frets: 28
    I wouldn't think about the time signature, I'd think about the note duration. You can play any group of notes as quavers (two per click), triplets (three per click), swung quavers (2 per click with the first note longer), semiquavers (4 per click), etc. Or perhaps you're using your metronome to focus in on each note - playing one note per click (effectively crotchets) well then it doesn't matter what the time signature is so I'd set it to 1/4 and have each click the same. 

Or even better, get your tempo (lets say 120). Set your click at 60 and say "2, 4" on the click. Now your click is the snare of your drummer. Now play in semiquavers - having one click every 8 notes. That'll seriously help your timing!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    Play 8th notes against a quarter note click to begin with.
    You can go to triplets once you have the 8ths against quarters thing down.