P90s vs single coils

What's Hot
BorkBork Frets: 259
Has anyone experienced positions 2 and 4 on a guitar with three P90s?  How did it stack up against the same on a standard strat?

[This space for rent]

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73037
    Very different. I had a PRS Custom 22 Soapbar that was just like that... it sounded nothing like a Strat really. You could tell it was two single coils spaced about the same, but it had none of that clicky, quacky sound that most people want from a Strat.

Which was a very good thing in my opinion :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14759
    Things can be more interesting if the control circuit is a three-way bridge/both/neck pickup selector switch then the middle position P90 is blended in with an independent volume pot. @HarrySeven has a modified Höhner JT-60 that works like this. Perhaps, he can comment.

I have a modified old PRS EGII with three humbuckers. Even with no coil splitting, selector switch positions 2 and 4 have a good bit of Stratocaster quack.

Both my PRS and the JT-60 have screwed-on necks and fulcrum vibratos. Their construction probably contributes to the illusion of Strattiness.

Some vintage Gibson three pickup guitars produce a honky tone by having the middle pickup out-of-phase with the bridge and neck pickups. Combining reverse phase and the blend control should create more of the "hollow/notchy" sound.

If you have not yet purchased the pickups, you might get closer to your preferred result using Firebird or mini humbucker pickups. The Seymour Duncan SM-1, -2 and -3 are a compromise between the two other designs.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3102
    As ICBM says chalk and cheese... my St Vincent copy has 3 P90’s, nothing like a Strat....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2987
    tFB Trader
    I've had two 3x P90 guitars, one was Strat-shaped. That did a sort of a Strat 2&4 sound but not 'chimey' enough. Close enough for punters at pub gigs say but in isolation you wouldn't think it was great Strat 2/4 tones. The other guitar had lower output brighter pickups but again didn't have the 2&4 chime going on.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9825
    edited March 2020
    ICBM said:
    ... it had none of that clicky, quacky sound that most people want from a Strat.

Which was a very good thing in my opinion

This. I've seriously considered swapping out the five-way switch for a three-way on mine.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14759
    Ironically, the weedier tone of stacked coil P90-alikes might get closer to the stringy sounds associated with Fender.

Some of the 2&4 sound is caused by the distance between the coils and their physical dimensions. A few of the more extreme Fender Offset guitar enthusiasts have modified Jaguars in an attempt to extract Stratocaster-like sounds. I see very little evidence of anyone trying this with a Jazzmaster. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3377
    I’ve a 25.5 scale length 24 fret guitar fitted with two P90’s and the middle position does have qualities of the strat quack sound but doesn’t sound identical. It’s a really usable sound.  
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3102
    HAL9000 said:
    ICBM said:
    ... it had none of that clicky, quacky sound that most people want from a Strat.

Which was a very good thing in my opinion

This. I've seriously considered swapping out the five-way switch for a three-way on mine.
    I did on my Original 50’s Strat and have no plans to change back to a 5 way...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73037

Some of the 2&4 sound is caused by the distance between the coils and their physical dimensions. A few of the more extreme Fender Offset guitar enthusiasts have modified Jaguars in an attempt to extract Stratocaster-like sounds. I see very little evidence of anyone trying this with a Jazzmaster. 
    There were a load of cheap Jazzmaster-shaped guitars in the 90s with Strat electrics. I never understood the point - they just sounded like bad Strats. If you want a Strat, buy a Strat.

I have actually begun to like the 2 and 4 positions - but *not* when they're as extreme and 'Stratty' as they can be, which is achieved when the pickups are separated exactly as they are on a Strat, about the same construction and output, and very well-matched. The further you move away from that, quite rapidly the less quacky and clucky the result - I've got hotter mini-humbuckers in the bridge and neck on mine, with a more typical Strat-like stacked pickup in the middle, and the combined sounds have the things I like about a Strat but without the ones I don't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1509
    I also have a modified PRS EG, but mine is HSS with BKP Crawler and 2 p-91's (was done back in 2004),  It's a very versatile setup but doesn't sound like a strat at all.  I have split coil switching for positions 2 & 4, but the sound is much thicker.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1398
    the stock 3xp90 wiring on my firebird had b&mid pups in the second switch position. sounded very stratty to me, but these are old ~8k p90s, not the 10-12k modern hot ones
  • BorkBork Frets: 259
    Interesting comments about positions 2 and 4.  I'm getting some really nice, thick high gain harmonics in position 2 through Fenderish mid boosted settings and position 4 is nicely funky for clean rhythm playing.

I already know some of the position 2 and 4 sounds are from the neck and bridge pickups being in parallel with the reverse wound middle pickup. I'm fairly confident Aaron Armstrong or another British pickup winder (Hot Rod Pickups maybe?) could work on something that worked technically but not sure about how it would sound.

[This space for rent]