Basic set-up for home recording advice please

What's Hot
FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 583
edited March 2020 in Studio & Recording
Hi.
With the new restrictions I've got the space now to get this going. 
Have seen a few videos, Joe on Reverb for one, and read some posts here.

I'm going to record a song a day for our team Whatsapp group. 

I'm a PC user.
I've not bought anything yet but saw Joe using a Focusrite interface, Shure mic, and software....but which software?

I'm on my own, just noodling. Something simple which can be used intuitively.

Many thanks in advance.
If I had talent, I'd be talented.
Injured Veteran and head injury survivor. Bouts of grumpy behavior and brutal humor are to be expected.
Red meat and functional mushrooms.
Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Epi LP Custom
FX Plex - Cornell Romany
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4212
    Reaper seems a common choice for a DAW, did you get one bundled with your interface ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 583
    I've not bought anything yet. I'm just putting together a list

Injured Veteran and head injury survivor. Bouts of grumpy behavior and brutal humor are to be expected.

FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • Ableton came free with my Focusrite last year. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31869
    I completely started again on the cheap a couple of years ago with a donated iMac and a cheap Steinberg interface which came bundled with a cut-down version of Cubase, which I then upgraded for not much extra.

It's a bit rammed in here now as I'm actually stood in front of my large vocal booth and my missus is programming drums today, but all I really need most days is an interface, a couple of mics and a pair of used speakers. The spare screen is just an old 32" TV i picked up for a tenner, I can dump the mixer and FX over there while I'm working on the main screen.

I used to have quite an elaborate setup, but the quality of what I'm doing has rocketed with knowledge rather than spending.

• FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 583
    p90fool said:
    I completely started again on the cheap a couple of years ago with a donated iMac and a cheap Steinberg interface which came bundled with a cut-down version of Cubase, which I then upgraded for not much extra.

It's a bit rammed in here now as I'm actually stood in front of my large vocal booth and my missus is programming drums today, but all I really need most days is an interface, a couple of mics and a pair of used speakers. The spare screen is just an old 32" TV i picked up for a tenner, I can dump the mixer and FX over there while I'm working on the main screen.

I used to have quite an elaborate setup, but the quality of what I'm doing has rocketed with knowledge rather than spending.

For the uninitiated it still looks complicated but I am sure with some patient thought it will become clear.
    I do have a set of Roland electronic drums in the garage. My middle son upgraded. No room in the house sadly. I recorded something on my phone which was 'different' so am pretty keen to get my wife to sign-off the spend. Every penny is important now!   Thanks for sharing, enjoy the gears..

FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3714
    sweepy said:
    Reaper seems a common choice for a DAW, did you get one bundled with your interface ?

Sound advice.

The biggest investment when it comes to software is not so much the financial outlay but rather the time that you need to invest in order to become competent.  On top of this there is also the time that you need to learn the basic recording skills which are applicable regardless of choice of DAW.

All the DAWs are pretty much capable of doing everything that a hobbiest requires of them.  Some, such as Cubase, come in different grades (LE, AI, Elements, Artist, Pro) so that you can start with the more basic version (still very powerful) and upgrade as and when.  I would suggest that the criteria to choose would be;

Am I already familiar with a particular model? (sounds as though you are not)

What is free? (i.e. bundled with an Audio Interface) 

What is cheap? (Reaper fits this bill.  It’s very capable but also quite lean and processor friendly

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    I wouldn’t say Reaper is intuitive. Cubase/Logic etc is much more user friendly.