Better than Standard Skype/Zoom Teaching Setup

Ok Guys,

I have a new iMac which i think the camera is half decent but i'm teaching into the built in mic. (Not great) Any decent upgrades that would be worth it? 

I may want to use a setup for youtube videos to record audio/video. 

Any good options out there that will be a big jump up from what i have? I'll be mostly recording acoustic guitar and voice. 

Connectivity (internet) My connection is good but i may upgrade to either a mesh wi fi system as my computer is quite far away from the router or get extender to stop it cutting out. (only happened a couple of times. 

Mesh v Extender for skype lessons?

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2097
    That looks cool .....think it will work with Go Pro ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4858
    I bought one of those a few weeks ago. For audio use. It's excellent for quick recordings in a casual situation. The mic itself is a mid/side pair of capsules, plus some software to control the mic and make it easy to quickly record something and manage your recordings, play them back, etc. It also works really well with GB for iOS and Multitrack DAW if you prefer to capture the audio into a DAW and process it later.

For audio, I'm really pleased with it. 

Only yesterday, I tried it with video for the first time. It works fine using the supplied Motiv Video app to record, but the management of the recordings is inside the Apple Photos app and I've not found a way to get to the audio tracks for any audio processing. I'm no video expert, but it looks like a standard MOV file to me. 
    edited March 2020
    Back to the OP. If you like the camera on your Mac, my mate has a Blue Yeti mic that he likes. USB connection to the computer and some different capsule choices for recording inside the mic housing itself. He's gotten some nice acostic guitar recordings with it - although you do hear a lot of the room ambience, too. 

The benefit of this (and the MV88) to you is they both have Analogue-to-Digital converters inside them, so you're not putting your audio through the one inside your computer (or phone) which is usually not so good - nor do you need an extra audio interface for your computer. You'd need that if you ended up using a standard analogue mic with an XLR cable. 
  • Back to the OP. If you like the camera on your Mac, my mate has a Blue Yeti mic that he likes. USB connection to the computer and some different capsule choices for recording inside the mic housing itself. He's gotten some nice acostic guitar recordings with it - although you do hear a lot of the room ambience, too. 

The benefit of this (and the MV88) to you is they both have Analogue-to-Digital converters inside them, so you're not putting your audio through the one inside your computer (or phone) which is usually not so good - nor do you need an extra audio interface for your computer. You'd need that if you ended up using a standard analogue mic with an XLR cable. 
    Thanks so much. Is my iMac camera as good or better than the offerings of logitec? It doesn't go into much detail on the specs apart from HD FaceTime camera.

Yes the Blue Yeti gets amazing write ups and looks and sounds great from videos etc. 

the other mic that im very interested in is the share mv51

yeti or shure?
    Back to the OP. If you like the camera on your Mac, my mate has a Blue Yeti mic that he likes. USB connection to the computer and some different capsule choices for recording inside the mic housing itself. He's gotten some nice acostic guitar recordings with it - although you do hear a lot of the room ambience, too. 

Thanks so much. Is my iMac camera as good or better than the offerings of logitec? It doesn't go into much detail on the specs apart from HD FaceTime camera.

Yes the Blue Yeti gets amazing write ups and looks and sounds great from videos etc. 

the other mic that im very interested in is the share mv51

yeti or shure?
    Aaahhh... no personal experiences or knowledge on the cameras in an iMac, ot the Logitec camera, nor the Shure MV51. Sorry! :-) The best camera I've got is the main one on my iPhone XR. It's better than my MacBook Pro and iPad Pro cameras. But I'm not exactly an expert. 
  • I use an iRig studio mic which is USB and plugs into Apple devices, PC or Android. No need to power separately or install drivers, simply plug and play. The audio quality is better than the built in mics so might be worth looking at. The Rhodes one is meant to be good too apparently.
  • arayadisarayadis Frets: 47
    Hi there I'm teaching online for about 3-4 years. I am using Panasonic G7 with Elgato Cam Link 4K for video and I'm using Shure Sm7b as a microphone. The setup could be a bit pricy but you will get the best quality for your lessons and videos.
  • arayadis said:
    Hi there I'm teaching online for about 3-4 years. I am using Panasonic G7 with Elgato Cam Link 4K for video and I'm using Shure Sm7b as a microphone. The setup could be a bit pricy but you will get the best quality for your lessons and videos.
    wow thats a lovely setup!

What about your guitar? I have a Helix so now i'm thinking about using that as an interface and plugging everything into that.