I need trainers...

What's Hot
I realised my trainers are hi top converse and that's it. No good for long walks, inclement weather, sports or... Well, anything really.

If I had £100 what would you recommend? I walk quite a bit and wear my shoes hard - they seldom last a season (I've killed some merrels before quite easily, but they were not terribly comfy anyway). 

I have pretty wide feet that swell after a while, so comfy fit is essential. Water proof would be almost essential. Breathable is essential. 

Any thoughts? Bonus points if they look good with jeans, shorts and general walking trousery things. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7860
    Lots of choice here, and at a good price. 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
    tFB Trader
    You aren't going to find shoes that do all of those things.

Have a think if you want trainers or walking shoes.

Probably the closest thing would be trail running shoes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Blimey on the Merrell comment, they are my go to brand for comfy long lasting out walking.

I have a pair of New Balance that are nice and comfy but probably wouldn't use them for country walks, that's a job for Merrell or Salomon.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited March 2020
    I got some gortex mammut's recently so don't know how long they'll last but they're very comfy and light. Reasonably water resistant plus I gave them a good coat of waterproofing spray. Cost around that much.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Asics are my go-to brand for running shoes.
    I have some trail running shoes and regular running shoes.
    Good if you have wide foot (which I do).

For country walking I wear Meindl boots- more ankle support.
    tFB Trader
    Blimey on the Merrell comment, they are my go to brand for comfy long lasting out walking.

I have a pair of New Balance that are nice and comfy but probably wouldn't use them for country walks, that's a job for Merrell or Salomon.

I had some Merrell walking shoes and they were probably the most comfortable shoes I've ever had but they wore out really fast.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Blimey on the Merrell comment, they are my go to brand for comfy long lasting out walking.

I had some Merrell walking shoes and they were probably the most comfortable shoes I've ever had but they wore out really fast.

Mine were a bit narrow for me, and the sole separated. It was a pair of their light duty summer shoes. 

octatonic said:
    Asics are my go-to brand for running shoes.
    I have some trail running shoes and regular running shoes.
    Good if you have wide foot (which I do).

For country walking I wear Meindl boots- more ankle support.

Asics running shoes work for me too. Will look into trail running shoes as a compromise - I have hiking boots already, so I'd priotise generally comfy tough trainers. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Blimey on the Merrell comment, they are my go to brand for comfy long lasting out walking.

Had the same experience, although they can be a bit narrow for me, so I have to size up.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047

I recommend Magnum boots. I use them for work and my country outings. Fairly light, comfortable (I have wide feet) and they're waterproof. 

Then keep your Converse for more casual things (which I also do).

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7860
    octatonic said:

Had the same experience, although they can be a bit narrow for me, so I have to size up.
    I live the quality of Merrell, but they always come up a size smaller than they say, and quite often too narrow. 

I have to try them on to buy them. 

Bought a pair of Onitsuka Tiger trainers a while back. Most uncomfortable trainers I’ve ever worn. Soles were like paper.

Love. Brasher boots for walking. Got some Hillmaster GTX. Super comfy. The last pair I had lasted nearly 30 years!
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I used to walk to work and back which was a 14 or so mile round trip in my converse allstars I loved them for walking in but got through them very quickly. I had to find something that would do the mileage and wouldn’t cost a fortune and I found Karimoor perfect, they were quite hard wearing and in the end lasted me nearly five years and only cost me something like £17 from Sports Direct. They looked ok with all sorts of leg wear. I would warn against anything from Adidas if you have wide feet as they are a narrow fit. 

Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4919

I think Merrells have gone downhill recently; I bought a pair which developed a fault, so I took them back and the replacement ones developed a similar fault (but on the opposite foot), so now I'm on my 3rd pair.

They've been my go-to brand too.
  • jackiojackio Frets: 132
    On my 2nd pair of Asics Gel Fuji Trabuca. Current pair are '6'.

I use them exactly as you describe. Goretex in them works great too

• jackio said:

Torn between these and brashers - very different shoes, I think I'm leaning to Asics as I have comfy low boots already. Thanks for the feedback. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I have wide feet and find asics very comfy. I have a couple of pairs of trainers but I went with berghaus for walking trainers and they are a great fit for me too.    
    tFB Trader
    jackio said:

Torn between these and brashers - very different shoes, I think I'm leaning to Asics as I have comfy low boots already. Thanks for the feedback. 

I have a pair of Brasher boots which have been very hard wearing, but really not comfortable for long walks so I use them for gardening.  Meindl have been much better in that regard. 

I also have a pair of Brasher Country Classic walking shoes and they are superb. I wear them as regular shoes as well as for less challenging walks and they are still in great shape after hundreds of miles. They are about as far from trainers as you are going to get though.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26992
    I go for Converse 70's for day-to-day. Better made and a bit more comfortable than regular converse. If I'm "walking-walking" then it's an old pair of Timberland walking boots that have been halfway round the world with me and are super comfortable to wear all day.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    Stay at home

Do burpees 
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    With quite wide feet, I would recommend sandals for spring through autumn. Not the regular type you would get in Go Outdoors, but a nice flat pair. www.xeroshoes.co.uk They also have a warranty on them - you WILL wear them through, but send them back when that happens and you get a 60% voucher off your next pair.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Couldn't decide between brashers and Asics so found some Asics for £25 that look perfect for now, nice and light, good for cycling, walking and the like.