Post-Lockdown pedal building

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27087
    edited April 2020
    Keefy said:
    Yeah, that'll work with an open Switchcraft type of socket. Or Fuzzdog actually had some really slim ones in stock if you really need. Tight is good anyway - it means the battery doesn't rattle D 
     I could have taken 1mm off the battery space and another 1mm from the pot clearance. Coulda woulda shoulda...
    EVERY one of my builds has something I would have done differently, even with these relative paint-by-numbers* Fuzzdog kits, whether it's finishing or labelling or LED colour or just getting the solder be a bit messy in places. Don't sweat it

(* not intended as an insult, I get no pleasure from vero builds at all...)

My copper build will have to wait for the weekend now as I'm working today after all. I also have some Gundam robot kits to get cracking on when the mood takes me..
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I've got loads of bits. Could build a whole bunch of stuff. I do mainly stick to drives/fuzz because they're generally simple/small parts count. Everything is packed away at my parents house atm, don't think I'll be able to get to it.

Get yourself a breadboard and start collecting bits n pieces (whenever something electronic breaks down I'm in seeing what I can strip from it!). It means you can really tune them in to your own taste, and your amp/other gear! Taylor made!
    Atm I'm playing a germanium muff and a tweaked "rangemaster" (less treble, more thick boost). Sounds good to me!  :)
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    I've got loads of bits. Could build a whole bunch of stuff. I do mainly stick to drives/fuzz because they're generally simple/small parts count. Everything is packed away at my parents house atm, don't think I'll be able to get to it.

Get yourself a breadboard and start collecting bits n pieces (whenever something electronic breaks down I'm in seeing what I can strip from it!). It means you can really tune them in to your own taste, and your amp/other gear! Taylor made!
    Atm I'm playing a germanium muff and a tweaked "rangemaster" (less treble, more thick boost). Sounds good to me!  :)
    Good call, I have a little breadboard but haven't done anything with it for ages. And I have some old Ge transistors too! So yeah, treble booster...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Finally...

Getting there...

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Getting there...

MCMLXXXI = 1981

Still not a clue...
    Board complete waiting for chips & pots

And done. Knobs pinched from my old Fuzz Face that doesn’t get used much. It’ll get posher ones once they arrive from Germany but that may take a long time. 

It’s a clone of the DRV 1981 (basically a posh Rat, the “Hype-R Rat” as Fuzzdog calls it). It sounds good!!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    Audio and or video clips gents please ... really interested in how all this fine work sounds 
    I’ll see what I can do :)
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I finished a Green Citrus (Matamp GT-esque preamp) kit the other day but I didn’t appreciate the spacing of the top three knobs when I ordered the green ones so the treble control has become a set and forget kind of deal for know. 

It’s a beast of a pedal. 

Nice! 

My Quaverato kit has literally just arrived, so considering that bff or the afternoon’s activities :)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited April 2020
    Didn't realise the Hyp-R Rat was a DRV clone - I might have to try that out as I like the sound of it in demos but not paying that much for a fancy Rat, as nice as their enclosure looks.

Has anyone tried any of the Fuzzdogs MIAB pedals and what did you think? I want to mess around with something that does a nice open sounding JCM800 bark! Don't know whether to just go for a Guvnor, Angry Charlie or their Eagle Claw - no idea what that last one is based on but sounds interesting. Maybe something FET based to get a more "amp like" feel?
    TTBZ said:
    Didn't realise the Hyp-R Rat was a DRV clone - I might have to try that out as I like the sound of it in demos but not paying that much for a fancy Rat, as nice as their enclosure looks.

Has anyone tried any of the Fuzzdogs MIAB pedals and what did you think? I want to mess around with something that does a nice open sounding JCM800 bark! Don't know whether to just go for a Guvnor, Angry Charlie or their Eagle Claw - no idea what that last one is based on but sounds interesting. Maybe something FET based to get a more "amp like" feel?
    Yeah, it’s a nice Rat. A little less aggressive and “chunky” than my early-MIC Rat2 and a lot less aggressive than my Fuzzdog Rat build, but sounds nice in its own right. I am happy not spending 200 notes on one though.

No idea on MIABs I’m afraid, though I’m sure someone else must know. I did have a Guvnor2 a long time ago (possibly my 2nd ever pedal?) which I liked at the time, but it’s hard to remember exactly what it was like. 

edited April 2020
    Quaverato unpacked. It’s a lovely kit - might take a while as at least 2x the number of parts as a typical dirt

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    And done. Knobs pinched from my old Fuzz Face that doesn’t get used much. It’ll get posher ones once they arrive from Germany but that may take a long time. 

It’s a clone of the DRV 1981 (basically a posh Rat, the “Hype-R Rat” as Fuzzdog calls it). It sounds good!!

That looks great. Painting then makes all the difference

Potentially gonna make an order from https://www.musikding.de/ soon

Did a fuzz dog seven knob swollen pickle and fuzz factory at the start of lockdown but haven't really used them

Going to do a Meathead on Vero today and pop it in my Bazz Fuss. If I ever get out of bed
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5158
    Quaverato unpacked. It’s a lovely kit - might take a while as at least 2x the number of parts as a typical dirt

Interested to see how you get on with this- looks pretty involved but it's very reasonably priced for what you get when you're done. Tempted to pick one up with the MIDI module.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Interested to see how you get on with this- looks pretty involved but it's very reasonably priced for what you get when you're done. Tempted to pick one up with the MIDI module.
    Yeah, it looks a fantastic pedal, and from demos sounds potentially as good as my Walrus Monuments but with even more control - it’s even got dipswitches to control the crossover point between high and low frequencies for the harmonic trem. 

The plan at the moment is to have my newly-acquired PT Nano with Jan Ray, Quaverato, Revival Drive Compact and Deco for a super simple rootsy/ country/folky rock board. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Well that seems to have gone smoothly. Will test and box tomorrow probably and spend tonight practicing. Vero is always a bit of a gamble in my experience

Neat! (What is it?!)