Post-Lockdown pedal building

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10914
    Been slowly revisiting some early builds and making them cleaner inside and more interesting to look at

This is an FY-2, the name is a play on Unpleasant Companion. I had no imagination for the graphics so I just wrote "bad friend black and white" into Midjourney and this is the first thing it spat out

The LED and the knobs don't really match so I will revisit that at some point. I have loads of aluminium knobs coming from Ali Express. I should get some more LED colours really too

I put a battery in to make it easier to record with. It doesn't like buffers anyway so it's not board friendly 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Main things are that the knobs are labelled and there is some kind of clue as to what's inside it. It's no use having a row of identical unmarked enclosures 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @roberty any chance of a link to the knob store on aliexpress?

Any time I look at aliexpress I just get lost/confused trying to find anything... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @roberty any chance of a link to the knob store on aliexpress?

Any time I look at aliexpress I just get lost/confused trying to find anything... 
    These: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003716138968.html

Will report back when they arrive. Could be awful!
    Blimey...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2341
    roberty said:
    Blimey...

It will be interesting to see what arrives…
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Tonight's soldering has produced one of these: a Crowther Audio Prunes and Custard built on a Fuzzdog board. 

I had previously dismissed this as "just another fuzz" when reading about it but after I fell down a YouTube rabbit hole I realised its a lot more than that. 

Its mad, but in a good way. Synthy, filtery, fuzzy madness. Very touch sensitive. Highly recommended for those of you who like unusual things. 

The lyrics to this come from the enclosure of the Prunes and Custard pedal. I heard the words "Electric Mistress" in there too. There might be more pedal things

@roberty any chance of a link to the knob store on aliexpress?

The knobs arrived. There were 15 knobs and 13 set screws. 5 of the knobs are 6mm, not 6.35mm, and will not fit. I have opened a refund request with Ali Express. Slightly annoyed, not at all surprised

I redid my EQD Depths clone. Couldn't think of a clever name so I just described the picture, which was inspired by the original. So all in all I give myself 1/5 for inspiration. It has the Ali Express knobs on, so this is what they look like

• Haha, that looks ace, good work.

Thanks for the update on the knobs. Sounds like too much hassle to save a few quid :-(
    Haha, that looks ace, good work.

Thanks for the update on the knobs. Sounds like too much hassle to save a few quid :-(
    Yeah the red and blue ones worked out to about £1 each with the stuff up. It'll be 75p each if they refund the black ones

I got a £19 Mosky Klone in the same package lol. Hopefully it doesn't explode when I plug it in
    Oh and thanks
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2341
    roberty said:

Yeah the red and blue ones worked out to about £1 each with the stuff up. It'll be 75p each if they refund the black ones

I got a £19 Mosky Klone in the same package lol. Hopefully it doesn't explode when I plug it in
    These Mosky Klones - is the explosion a fault or a feature? Asking for a friend…
    Keefy said:
    roberty said:

These Mosky Klones - is the explosion a fault or a feature? Asking for a friend…
    Well I plugged it in and it sounds glorious. No included fireworks display
    Some more stuff today

Fuzz Dog Mu-Tron Micro V envelope filter. Very cool. Can get quite slow and synth which is what I wanted

I called it Envelope Lifter which is an anagram of Envelope Filter. A few bubbles under the decal oops

Redid the Brain Bomb with a new graphic cos I thought it looked a bit naff. It's okay now, not amazing but it'll do

I've got 9 PCBs nearly populated, just waiting for some bits that have got stuck in the post. Quite a lot of stuff to get through. Takes me a lot longer if I'm not building from a kit

I ordered the EF111 kit from Fuzz Dog this weekend. I find it relaxing putting kits together. Like doing a jigsaw but with a little bit of creativity thrown in for the enclosure
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    *more typo than anagram 
  • I LOVE that Envelope Lifter.
    I LOVE that Envelope Lifter.
    Lol thanks it's the most stupid thing I could think of
    EF111ING Craziness. Waiting for some green knobs

Definitely have everything I need now lol. This will be for production sound effects I guess 

The reference, for those not versed in internet nonsense:

Also redid my Big Cheese clone. Label looks a bit wide, was experimenting. Don't think I'll do edge to edge again 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • These are epic :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 826
    I'm loving @roberty s Headsplode, and am thinking the Fuzzdog take on a Bixonic Expandora, that I have sitting on my shelf waiting for me to build ( MY EYES ) would look great in a box like that.
    Same knob layout, plus 3 switches.
    Just have to find some calm ME time.