1961 fender stratocasters comparison video

What's Hot
Hi everyone.. i made sort video comparing my x2 61's nothing exciting guitar playing .. just some chords so you can hear the different pickups on each guitar... let me know which one you prefer the sound of and why!

this is what corona virus and no gigs is doing to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM7B9fvb4Tw&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0CzIvPcNNQLQLb_xUkhosQqkeMbuUye1zbP6HsZjdsR9glX_VhyLEFCxA

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    Hi James, interesting.  I've got a 57, 60 & 63 strat, where I expect to hear a lot of differences, but it was interesting to hear the difference in your two 61's.  It might be my old ears, but I did prefer the red strat.  I especially liked the middle pickup and the middle neck combo.  I found the black strat a little darker and more bassy.

Thanks for doing this.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @PhilKing no worries  phil... i know the camera work and audio isn't the best but i wanted to give it ago. glad you enjoyed it
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Enjoyed hearing those, thanks for sharing.    
    Not sure I have a preference as they both sounded great, subtle but I thought the pickup changes were more obvious on the red - especially the in between tones.    
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited March 2020
    First, very envious that you have TWO 61 Strats! I found the black strat slightly brighter & snappier, and the red strat slightly more mellow.  Both sounded great, but I leaned more towards the Black strat tone.  However, from personal experience I know that a lot depends on my mood and the type of music I fancy playing, so I think it's best you let me have both for a couple of months so that I can be sure!  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @John_P ; its strange one the black sounds better thru the ac30 than the red one but the red one to me sounds better thru every other amp i have... 
  • @Voxman ; i am very lucky to have them and i use them all the time! and your right on mood! 
  • Lucky barsteward, would love a vintage stratocaster,  Thanks for sharing I like the red one.
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    Both sound great to me. It might also be interesting to compare a modern strat with those.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    Black one for me.  Just felt slightly fuller to me.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited March 2020
    Fez said:
    Both sound great to me. It might also be interesting to compare a modern strat with those.
    I was thinking the very same thing. But there's so much tonal difference even on vintage Strats and so many modern Strat variants even with the traditional 3 single coil layout, where would you even start? A modern Strat may not sound like these two, but may sound just like another different vintage Strat, if you see what I mean. As the vid shows, even two vintage Strats of the same year don't sound the same!
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • llewllew Frets: 78
    Black one for me but I thought they both sounded great.
  • oldfoxyoldfoxy Frets: 39
    Red one for me