Cleaning guitars for COVID-19

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19303
    Don't touch it for a few days, you could put it on a guitar stand and have it stand outside in the day and let UV its its job too.
    Raymond bonny lad, if you did that in the UK someone would steal it or it would suffer terribly in the weather.
    Today I had warm sunshine, light rain & sleet.
    Sunlight is a great disinfectant as my old agriculture lecturers said,  but not in the average UK garden  :)

How about a flame-thrower then? nothing like a bit of relic-ing.
    Always au naturel for me  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Wash it with soap and water for as long as it takes you to sing happy birthday.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WarblingtonWarblington Frets: 111
    octatonic said:
    Wait three days before opening it.
    I'm having a guitar delivered and the company says you have to report damage/faults etc within 24 hours of receipt. I'm awaiting a response to extending this to 72 hours. I think a lot of guitar retailers have this in their terms and conditions.

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4269
    Hey awesome idea , what about UV lamps ? How long would you have to wave a small uv lamp over the guitar , someone mentioned converting the counterfeit scanners for zapping virus on money 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12030
    octatonic said:
    Wait three days before opening it.
    I'm having a guitar delivered and the company says you have to report damage/faults etc within 24 hours of receipt. I'm awaiting a response to extending this to 72 hours. I think a lot of guitar retailers have this in their terms and conditions.

You can still touch it, just be sure to wash your hands thoroughly afterwards and change your clothes.
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    UV - the proper UV Germicidal lights cost north of £2k and require a full body suit to use, so I’m somewhat sceptical that the little hand-held jobs on ebay for £50 (note £15 about 3 weeks ago) are going to do jack - I’m sure there will more UV in sunlight  
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    edited March 2020
    I'm enjoying this thread very much, so won't spoil it by giving you the correct answer, which would be a big tease anyway, as the product is unavailable everywhere just now, unless you do what I do for a job (and there's a few of us on here that do).

• SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    edited March 2020
    MikeS said:
    I'm enjoying this thread very much, so won't spoil it by giving you the correct answer, which would be a big tease anyway, as the product is unavailable everywhere just now, unless you do what I do for a job (there's a few of us on here that do). I've been using the product for donkeys years to clean guitars I buy, and will continue to do so long after Covid 19 has been and gone. <tease> It begins with a T though
    Edited - how is this helpful?
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    ^ You could try it, and tell us about the results ;)

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3091
    SunDevil said:
    Bleach on Nitro? ..is that theory or based on hands-on experience?

Ive done it with no issues, you don’t need a lot of bleach to be effective, probably a tablespoonful in half a gallon of water, dip a cloth, wring, wipe the whole guitar over a couple of times, dry with a clean cloth, oil fretboard if necessary......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Guitar buying is a strange addiction.
    Drug addicts risk getting sick if they DON't get their drugs.
    We risk getting sick if we DO.