RIP Stirling Moss

What's Hot
Absolute legend.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9814
    Indeed, and for years probably the first person that came to mind if asked to name a racing driver. Certainly the cops would ask speeding motorists ‘Who do you think you are? Stirling Moss?’ Never Schumacher, Lauda, or anybody else. RIP.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1465
    Proper motor racing legend. RIP Sir Stirling.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31120
    "Well, in all honesty, I only started motor racing for the crumpet...."

Sir Stirling Moss, 2001.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14750
    tFB Trader
    Just seen that flash up on the BBC site - Way before my days of F1 - I started watching F1 around the days of Hunt + Lauda etc - But SM was very much a legend that you kept hearing about - So all my knowledge of him is based on 'second hand news and stories' and all those old clips we see - And agree with @HAL9000 comments above about 'speeding' 

RIP Stirling
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    I had the privilege of watching him drive at a vintage Grand Prix racing event many years ago - this was about twenty years ago so he would have already been in his very late 60s or early 70s. It was amazing to see - despite not having the most modern car there - it was a 60s Lotus if I remember rightly, and there were many later and/or more powerful cars - he was simply *far* faster than any other driver. Just effortlessly smooth and flawlessly following the best driving line time after time, even though clearly right on the edge of grip - when overtaking he seemed to just float past the other drivers as if they were out for a Sunday drive... but they were clearly trying hard too. He was just at a totally different level of connection with the car and the circuit.

It's not the car, it's the driver.

RIP :(

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4761
    edited April 2020
    Bit of a childhood hero in the late 5os, then watched him race Audi touring cars with Martin Brundle in the 80s and saw him at the Goodwood Revival in a Rob Walker E-type (I think, could have been a D-type) with Brundle as team mate in the TT.  Brundle was flabbergasted at how hard he found it to do what came effortlessly to Moss.

Pilote Stirling Moss Sir-st10

RIP.  A man who knew what he liked.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Top top racing driver. Saw him holding court a few times at the Festival of Speed. And my abiding memory is that of a gentleman. RIP Sir Stirling.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 888
    edited April 2020
    Top chap, truly one of a kind that will be sadly missed. My dad recounted many stories of watching Moss and Hill racing in the golden era.

Rest well Sir.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Very sad news. A legend.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    It's also worth remembering that in the 'golden era', motor racing was genuinely seriously dangerous. Most drivers had at least one bad crash - including Moss - and it was normal for at least one driver to die in a typical Formula 1 season. When you think of how close to the edge they had to drive, all the time, and the total lack of proper safety features of either the cars or the circuits, it's a tribute to their sheer courage as well as skill.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14750
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    It's also worth remembering that in the 'golden era', motor racing was genuinely seriously dangerous. Most drivers had at least one bad crash - including Moss - and it was normal for at least one driver to die in a typical Formula 1 season. When you think of how close to the edge they had to drive, all the time, and the total lack of proper safety features of either the cars or the circuits, it's a tribute to their sheer courage as well as skill.
    very true

I think it was Nelson Piquet who said something all the lines that 'if you are not s*itting yourself you are not going fast enough'

You see those old footage's with straw bales etc as the only form of safety - After Senna and Ratzenberger I think only 1 death in 26 years
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1361
    It is typical of Sir Stirling Moss that at the Portugese GP in 1958, He appealed a decision by the stewards to disqualify Mike Hawthorn, his rival for the title that year. Hawthorn had reversed back onto the track, having stalled and run off. Moss's intervention and statement that Hawthorn had only reversed on the pavement, enabled Hawthorn's points to be reinstated, ultimately costing Moss the title, which Hawthorn won by one point, despite Moss's four victories to Hawthorn's one.
    What modern-day sportsman, let alone current GP drive, would have displayed that level of integrity?
    In the early and mid 50s, he was overshadowed by Fangio, to many, ncluding me, the best ever. When Fangio retired, Moss chose to race for British manufacturers, often for the privateer Rob Walker, without full manufacturer backing, and not for the more successful continental works teams, for whom he would have doubtless won many titles.
    His prowess in sports cars such as the C and D type Jaguars, and DBR Astons, outshone even Fangio - see his 1955 record breaking Mille Miglia time, which remains unbeaten.
     I have had the privilege of watching Moss race in historic Motorsport on many occasions, in particular I remember the inaugural Godwoood Revival in 1998 watching Moss in the DBR Aston which won Le Mans in1959, overtaking back markers at full chat on the grass verge, while dicing with Martin Brundle and Willie Green, in Ecurie Belge D Type and pontoon fender Ferrari testarossa respectively, Moss taking the following Lavant corner in a full opposite lock slide.
    I was lucky enough to briefly meet him in the Pits at Silvestone. He was not a hero that disappointed in person.
    Rest in Peace, Sir Stirling.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    Met him when I used to do Charity work for Mencap's Celebrity Car Club of Great Britain. Man always had an anecdote and respected presence.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>