Richard Thompson's Ferrington

What's Hot
LoobsLoobs Frets: 3852
I love it.

Cool hybrid of a Tele, Strat & offset. Would love to own one. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 983

I had a plunk on one once, about 20 years ago. It was the exact same shape as RT's but a different colour and, I think, with a different pickup layout... three single coils but no P90, possibly. It was a hefty little thing and it had a somewhat acquired-taste kind of feel. It belonged to Adam Seymour, who was in the Pretenders at the time. He was most surprised I knew what it was but I have a copy of the trapezoid-shaped Ferrington book (and anyway I'm a massive Thompson fan). I only had an unplugged strum as it was laying around his flat, it seemed to be the designated TV-watching guitar. A unique looking thing, for sure. Danny F really was the superstar West Coast luthier for a while.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4283
    I came here expecting a Kramer 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    I find that all kinds of wrong aesthetically, which is the posh way of saying hideous. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1168
    edited April 2020
    If it wasn’t his I think I’d hate it. I hate pearl pickguards but he gets away with it on his red strat
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3852
    Because he is Richard Thompson. 
  • donbotdonbot Frets: 362
    As they say on the interweb; Thanks... I hate it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16341
    I don’t know how much he ever played it? I’ve never seen RT live but I’ve watched a bunch of live stuff online and fairly sure I’ve never seen him use it, even though I’ve seen pics of him with it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 983
    I don’t know how much he ever played it? I’ve never seen RT live but I’ve watched a bunch of live stuff online and fairly sure I’ve never seen him use it, even though I’ve seen pics of him with it. 
    Quite a lot, from roughly '97 or thereabouts. Here's a show from 1999.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iOaup6xoq8
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16341
    KKJale said:

Cheers, I don’t think I’ve seen that one. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23534
    KKJale said:

He was most surprised I knew what it was but I have a copy of the trapezoid-shaped Ferrington book (and anyway I'm a massive Thompson fan). I only had an unplugged strum as it was laying around his flat, it seemed to be the designated TV-watching guitar. A unique looking thing, for sure. Danny F really was the superstar West Coast luthier for a while.

I've got a copy of that book too.  It's a very nice book, but I have to say none of the guitars particularly appealed to me.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9690
    Ive seen him use it 2 or 3 times live
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3852
    I think when I saw him at the Royal Festival Hall in 2011 he was playing it. I think. 
  • dallcorpdallcorp Frets: 139
    KKJale said:

I saw him in Richards on Richards in Vancouver on the Mock Tudor tour and he was playing her then.