Which Martin Dreadnought

What's Hot
prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
Having trawled the collective opinions of the internet at large I've come to the conclusion that forward shifted bracing is a plus, the deep V neck wouldn't suit me, so I'm probably looking at the "reimagined" d28, hd28 or a post-2013 d18.

As I just play by myself (even when not confined to the house by lockdown) is the D18 probably my best bet?

Is there a UK built alternative I should turn my ears towards?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27610
    edited April 2020
    First decision should be mahogany vs rosewood - that's your D18 vs everything else criteria. 

I haven't tried the reminagined ones but FWIW I loved the D28 I played in Guitar Village about 6 years ago, and I currently have a 2000-ish HD28 which is the second-best acoustic I've ever played (best was a late-40's D18..)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 639
    UK alternative would be an Atkin. Check the D37 (D28) and Essential D (D18). Really superb dreads.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72941
    If you want a Martin, buy a Martin. No other, no matter how good, sounds the same.

I do find the D-18 slightly more satisfying to play by myself - it has a warmer tone and seems to project the sound 'around' the guitar more, whereas the 28 tends to project it out 'forwards' more, so it can sound a little boomy and muffled to the player, even though it's punchier if you're listening to someone else play it - if that makes sense.

That said I haven't played more than a couple of these new varieties which I just lose track of...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 370
    Martin DR Centennial - I bought one of these quite recently for recording - Very happy with it. 

• markjmarkj Frets: 923
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    icu81b4 said:
    Martin DR Centennial 
    GuitarGuitar have a pretty tempting ex-demo deal on one of these...
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 370
    I think it was the lack of appointments (bling) that put some people off it, but to me it was the sound I was after. 
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    I like a satin finish so it's right up my street.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Agree that if Martin is in your head then it must be a Martin. The HD 28 is so good I think if you played one off against a D18, which is superb also, it would win out. It’s incredible 

Also worth a mention is the HD28vs. Modified V neck though so maybe not suitable 
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    I believe that the only difference between the D-28 and HD-28 now is the vintage aesthetic of the HD model, but I stand to be corrected. You really need to play a D-18 compared to one of the 28 models to decide between rosewood and mahogany. I have both but marginally prefer mahogany.
    The HD is scalloped 
    Andy79 said:
    Agree that if Martin is in your head then it must be a Martin. The HD 28 is so good I think if you played one off against a D18, which is superb also, it would win out. It’s incredible 

Also worth a mention is the HD28vs. Modified V neck though so maybe not suitable 
    I find the modified V neck far more manageable on the 1 11/16" nut width of the HD-28V than on guitars with 1 3/4" nut widths.
    Andy79 said:
    The HD is scalloped 
    As yes, that's the difference - thanks.
    Brize said:
    Andy79 said:

I find the modified V neck far more manageable on the 1 11/16" nut width of the HD-28V than on guitars with 1 3/4" nut widths.
    The HD28v has 11/16 the vs has 3/4
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 983
    Took a young relative Martin-shopping last year. Unexpectedly, given his style and usual woody preferences, a  bog-standard D18 on their wall annihilated every rosewood dread we tried in the shop - exceptional guitar, absolutely lovely. So as ever, try before you buy. Not easy in These Times™ of course. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72941
    KKJale said:
    Took a young relative Martin-shopping last year. Unexpectedly, given his style and usual woody preferences, a  bog-standard D18 on their wall annihilated every rosewood dread we tried in the shop - exceptional guitar, absolutely lovely. So as ever, try before you buy. Not easy in These Times™ of course. 
    Sometimes you just get one like that, even though modern Martins are quite consistent. The trick is to never try to second guess yourself at that point - buy *that* guitar before you change your mind...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 983
    Oh he did, I made sure of that.  :)
    Andy79 said:
    Brize said:
    Andy79 said:

The HD28v has 11/16 the vs has 3/4
    Yep, I've had both but moved on the VS for the aforementioned reason.
  • I spent several years trying to find the guitar in my head, believing it to be an HD28. I played loads of guitars in all sorts of shops, including some by boutique luthiers. Whatever I tried, rosewood just didn’t work for me...In the end I identified the sound as ‘mahogany’. In 2010 I picked up a 00-15, ker-ching! 

So then I was off on another quest for a D18. In 2012 I visited Denmark Street and played a D18V and a new 2012 D18 which was significantly better. I spent ages trying to persuade myself it wasn’t because it was cheaper, but the 2012 changes to the build were significant.

That left me confused so I left and dropped in on a secondhand guitar shop on D Street. They had a D18-GE in. Oh, wow! That was it. A few months later, I bought one.

What’s weird is that, when I play, everyone likes the 00-15, but the D18-GE with a Baggs Lyric gets mixed reviews. I love it and it *is* the guitar in my head.

Just over a year ago I picked up an OM28-RetroE, wow! Over the last year the 00-15 gets a lot of play at home as does the OM28 at church.

My point is this, there isn’t a right or perfect guitar which beats all comers in absolute terms, It really is in the ear of the listener or the guitar in your head. Although the guitar in my head is mahogany and I thought rosewood sounded ’wrong’ what I discovered is that both bring their own special contribution to the sound.

I would suggest you keep playing lots of instruments until you play the one that won’t let you leave until you buy it...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27610

My point is this, there isn’t a right or perfect guitar which beats all comers in absolute terms, It really is in the ear of the listener or the guitar in your head. Although the guitar in my head is mahogany and I thought rosewood sounded ’wrong’ what I discovered is that both bring their own special contribution to the sound.

I would suggest you keep playing lots of instruments until you play the one that won’t let you leave until you buy it...
    Agree with all of this. I bought a Dove over the D28 I mentioned earlier, because it was the better guitar, but it wasn't the sound in my head, hence switching that for an HD28 a couple of years on. 

I see myself with a trio of acoustics eventually - something small and 00-ish, and something Gibson and probably mahogany flavoured. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires