Basic rhythm, I seem to have forgotten how to play!

robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3683
I moved back over to electric after a good 15 years playing an acoustic, and now I seem to have forgotten how to play rhythm , On an acoustic I can do it , but on electric Im struggling, Ive been noticing this more and more when learning new songs, any tips on getting my rhythm playing back on track? I just cant seem to get back into it.  
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1123
    edited April 2020
    Use a metronome or drum track. Learn the basic subdivisons like quarter/eighth note. As you play more along to the drum track your playing will start to reflect what different parts of the kit are playing, e.g your strums on 2 and 4 should fall where the snare hits are in 4/4. Try to learn different styles not just rock as the context of timing applies whatever style it is. The direction your strum hand moves within a certain timeframe.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3683
    edited April 2020
    Cool, thank you, any good songs to learn to practice? I think the main difference between what I used to play and what I try to play now is I could just bang it out on the acoustic without thinking about it, I got used to doing that, I have not reached that stage on the electric so most of what I try to learn usually comes across as fumbling around it which holds me back a lot. For years I just didn't learn new stuff, playing my own noodlings, which hasn't helped at all. I am following this lesson at the moment, finding it easier than most.
    Another thing is getting my electric to sound ''right'', nailing a tone I am happy with seems to be another struggle.

• What kind of music are you into? I think with acoustic guitar it tends to be unaccompanied meaning your more free to mess about with the timing and rhythm whereas generally electric is with a drummer in a band context.

Something that a steady drum beat with not too many frills to start off with so you can focus on keeping in time and establishing the “pulse” or groove.
    What kind of music are you into? I think with acoustic guitar it tends to be unaccompanied meaning your more free to mess about with the timing and rhythm whereas generally electric is with a drummer in a band context.

Something that a steady drum beat with not too many frills to start off with so you can focus on keeping in time and establishing the “pulse” or groove.
    Sounds like a plan, I dont really play along to stuff much, but thinking about it that would certainly help, Im into most things, but having such a long spell of not learning songs I have acquired my own style, finger picked stuff mostly, passed over from the acoustic.
  • Ah reminds me of a lot of learners that come to after spells on acoustic wanting to play electric guitar. 

Sometimes the songs I choose for them aren’t their taste or they won’t like that particular song but it’s more about the techniques involved. 

What are your chord changes like? Can you handle, say  a 4 chord song? Another important element is knowing how long that chord lasts for I.e one whole bar, half a bar, etc. Many get this in a muddle and end up slipping out of time.
    Chord changes are good, once the muscle memory sets in its thoughtless, I used to be able to play without thinking, even when noodling or just making it up as I went along, even playing songs that I didn't learn before hand, they may not have been totally correct but close enough to pass, I think I might just be bored with what I play which has prompted me to learn new stuff, and I think Ive forgotten how to learn. If there ever was a thing called mojo, ive lost it!
  • Open chords only or can you do barre chords? The ability to keep time whilst changing chords is a basic. Rhythm makes up 90-95% of guitar playing not sure why so many neglect it. 

You wanna be at the stage where regardless of what artist or style it is you can comfortably play those chords in time with the original recording.
    Barr chords are good, I use the pinky a lot on them , never been a problem unless I need to use it for something else during the chord, cage system is getting there, I tend to play around with chords a lot, I dont seem to play open chords as much on the electric, which makes ACDC songs a bit of a stumbling point. Its not so much what I play, its more how I play it, getting the rhythm right and getting it fluid again. 
  • Ok so if I was to show you a chord chart for say, Eagles “Busy Being Fabulous” (Would link but they have copyright issues on YT) would you able to play along? It’s a simple one chord per bar thing with the exception of F to G at the end of the chorus.
    Yeah go for it, I can give it a whirl tonight.
  • Cool I’ll PM it over in a sec. Listen through first and see if you can picture the chords changing with the bars.