Reaper question about recording two tracks from different interfaces

What's Hot
midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
edited April 2020 in Studio & Recording
I have a zoom g3 which i use as a guitar interface and a zoom h1 which i use as a usb mic. Ive been messing around with reaper. Am i correct in that I cant record from the g3 and the zoom H1 at the same time, as i have to set one or the other as the input device, Is the only way to do this is with a 2 input interface?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2432
    Are you on a Mac or a PC?

On a Mac you can probably do this by creating an Aggregate Device in the Audio MIDI Setup utility.

On a Windows machine it's not possible, as ASIO drivers only support one device.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    Stuckfast said:
    Are you on a Mac or a PC?

On a Mac you can probably do this by creating an Aggregate Device in the Audio MIDI Setup utility.

On a Windows machine it's not possible, as ASIO drivers only support one device.
    Aggregate device setups are so unreliable.
    I really wouldn't bother.
  • I'm on PC. So I should get something like a focusrite? 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I'm on PC. So I should get something like a focusrite? 
    Would probably be a whole lot easier. I picked up a 2i2 from guitarguitar last week and was delivered next day. Very good bit of kit. 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4872
     My view is it's always worth getting an inexpensive audio interface with two mic inputs that can also take line level signals.  That gives you the ability to record two things at once - electric guitar (direct) and voice (using a mic) and the ability to make a live stereo recording of the sound in the room. 

I've got a PreSonus  iTwo, but the only reason I chose that (in 2015) over a Focusrite was the MIDI ports it had. I used to have a MIDI keyboard that only used 5-pin MIDI, not USB. My memory says the Focusrite didn't have MIDI in/thru/out, just USB. 
    Ideally you want an interface where you can actually disable the mic preamps entirely.
    Some interfaces with combi inputs don’t do this.
  • Stuckfast said:

Technically ASIO4ALL can do this, in a similar way to OSX's Aggregate Device feature. But it never really works well.

octatonic said:
    Ideally you want an interface where you can actually disable the mic preamps entirely.
    I believe the Audient ID22 and ID44 allow you to do this, and they're pretty reasonably priced.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markvmarkv Frets: 460
    octatonic said:
    That's interesting - I've not seen this mentioned before in my (admittedly not hugely extensive) reading around the subject. Why is this better? Is it different from switching between line and instrument level, which I've seen on some AIs (e.g. Focusrite 2i2)? (sorry for slight thread hijack!)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6414
    Was going to suggest a cheapo mixer - pan the sources hard left/right and split in Reaper
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Jalapeno said:
    Was going to suggest a cheapo mixer - pan the sources hard left/right and split in Reaper
    lol, thats exactly what ive been playing around with this morning. i have a simple alexis analogue mixer which ive taken the lineout phono into the line in of the zoom h1 then by usb into the pc. it seems to work ok and sound quality seems quite good although i have nothing to compare it too.

• markv said:
    octatonic said:
    That's interesting - I've not seen this mentioned before in my (admittedly not hugely extensive) reading around the subject. Why is this better? Is it different from switching between line and instrument level, which I've seen on some AIs (e.g. Focusrite 2i2)? (sorry for slight thread hijack!)
    If you're using external preamps then you don't want to colour your external pre with the sound of the built-in one in the interface. Well, in theory anyway.

Bye!

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    markv said:
    octatonic said:
    No - disabling the instrument level is the same as disabling the mic pre
    markv said:
    octatonic said:
    If you're using external preamps then you don't want to colour your external pre with the sound of the built-in one in the interface. Well, in theory anyway.
    Yes, also when using line level sources (synths, modellers etc) you don't necessarily want to go through the preamp as well even at "unity". (in quotes because I don't want to get into a philosophical discussion about unity).