Jazzmaster GAS

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jim-BobJim-Bob Frets: 15
    Jazzmasters are great fun! I think you will be fine with the pressure and the action - I manage very well with 10s on both mine.  My most recent JM is one of the newish American Professional Series which I found second hand.  The bridge is described as being a Mustang Bridge - my other one has a bigs by and a fender style tune-O-matic and that is proper solid.  I do play with a heavy hand especially live but the mustang one has been fine so far - it's ace. 

In other places I hear some noise about the Pro series not having real JM pick ups or electronics  Some comments on the necks too.... the purists seem to reckon them a "strat in a JM's jacket" or a "JM for people who prefer strats"  as ever the purists may be right at the same time as being opinionated but the designers might also have thought about how to do their job too.... I think they sound and play great for the rockin and rollin I like to do and I feel way less fat and bald when I play it. If/when you can afford to perhaps buy second hand so you don't get spanked on depreciation and if you don't like it flip it on.

I got a great recommendation from this Board to install a Staytrem arm and collet on the bridge plate. I had to do it as I snapped the screw in arm in the socket (d'oh)....  If (ok, when) I get a Jag I'd do the same upgrade without even breaking the trem first.  
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3852
    edited April 2020
    Loobs said:
    But why would you want to play 9s, unless you have the hands of a 5-year-old child? Or you're Steve Vai? 
    Because heavy strings are for people with an inferiority complex?

Why work harder? 
    It was only a joke. :astonished: 

But if you're seriously asking why work harder, I'd answer that the strings sound way way better. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27623
    Loobs said:
    Loobs said:
    But why would you want to play 9s, unless you have the hands of a 5-year-old child? Or you're Steve Vai? 
    Because heavy strings are for people with an inferiority complex?

Why work harder? 
    It was only a joke. :astonished: 

But if you're seriously asking why work harder, I'd answer that the strings sound way way better. 
    Joke missed entirely - apols! 

But srsly, 9's sound great. I'm not afraid of big strings - I play more acoustic than electric and I had 11s on my 330 for a good while, I just don't see the benefit unless the guitar sounds notable different with heavier strings, which my JM doesn't.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom