Duesenberg Starplayer TV

What's Hot
TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10386
edited April 2020 in Guitar
Hi all!

I've got myself a Starplayer TV in Sparkle Red coming tomorrow. It's a work induced, quarantined impulse buy! 

Anyone got a Duesenberg?

I was reading about the on TGP and people feel they're very pricey for the market there, and aren't convinced they're built in Germany.

It's a double bound, semi hollow instrument, with what's meant to be a great trem, with custom pickups, a sparkle finish, locking tuners, strap locks, hard case. So I feel that £1900 for a guitar with all that, and one that looks that cool is a fair price. But they are cheaper for us than them. 

So, anyone got one? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You *are* going to post lots of pictures when it arrives, aren't you? 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1374
    Great guitars, the hardware on them is very high quality. The pickups are loud and proud. The bridge rocks back and forth slightly allowing for super tuning stability with heavy trem use.

In terms of playability the Starplayer is kind of like a 335 with a Fender scale length and a dash of Gretsch thrown in.

They are very consistent from guitar to guitar, and consistently very high quality.

Stylistically, it is capable of covering a lot of ground.
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    I had one a few years ago, it was great and the trem is the best I've ever used in any guitar.

Inevitably sold it for no apparent reason, shortly after they decided to increase their prices!
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    I have the duesenberg les trem on my d'angelico and it's the best bigsby a like I have ever used, outstanding quality. 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1396
    Tomorrow is now today. Pictures please!
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6409
    Jealous ! That exact model is on my GAS list.

Enjoy, and post some glamtastic pics !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10528
    Superb instruments, played 4 different models and personally think they are the best guitars I have ever played. Enjoy
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 687
    Wasn’t there a kickoff a while back that Duesenberg were made in Korea?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14720
    tFB Trader
    daveyh said:
    Only the Duesenberg Special is fabricated in Korea regarding wood work

For a few years now Duesenberg have owned/run a CNC woodwork facility in Croatia - All machines etc set-up and spec'd by Duesenberg - It is a new state of the art facility custom spec'd by Duesenberg - Clean + fully automated

Woodwork is then sent to Hanover for assembly, painting, set-up, hardware, electrics, frets fitted etc 

All design, development, R&D etc is equally handled from Hanover
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10528
    daveyh said:

For a few years now Duesenberg have owned/run a CNC woodwork facility in Croatia - All machines etc set-up and spec'd by Duesenberg - It is a new state of the art facility custom spec'd by Duesenberg - Clean + fully automated

Woodwork is then sent to Hanover for assembly, painting, set-up, hardware, electrics, frets fitted etc 

Yeah there's a video on Youtube showing the German side of things. Howard from Oasis music Ringwood is an importer of these guitars, got quite a few in for friends of mine 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14720
    tFB Trader
    Danny1969 said:
    daveyh said:

Yeah there's a video on Youtube showing the German side of things. Howard from Oasis music Ringwood is an importer of these guitars, got quite a few in for friends of mine 
    Not seen the video so will try and find it - I've known Howard for a few years now - I've sold new Duesenberg Guitars in the past, especially when UK sales were handled by a close friend of mine Dixies Music

I dare say 'production' has changed a touch over the years but the key part is that Duesenberg wish to retain as much control over the whole process and less dependent on 3rd party involvement 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17869
    tFB Trader
    It's crazy how much more expensive these are now.

I remember when these came out about 10 years ago they had them on Denmark for about £700

Nearly bought an orange semi hollow which was maybe 850. Over £2k now!

Really wish I'd got one now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3375
    I bought a star payer special in Orange 10 years ago for £350, I sold it 6 months later for £800 simply because I could. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1643
    I bought one in December and its one of my favorite guitars that I own. It has a sound unlike any of my other 335's Strats or LP's so you will find a good home for it. Cvers lots of ground, I use it with my 78 Marshall 2014 and its fantastic, a big rock and roll noise. I can use it with my vibroverb 63 RI and it does that surf and gretsch type sound. 

All in all I dont think there are many guitars as well made and with better parts for the money these cost. You wont find someone else playing on at every bar either. 

Plus they just might be the best looking guitar out there!

Now get some pictures up
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1643
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2632
    I tried one out extensively a few years ago in a Glasgow shop.  I can only assume there was a bit of a cash flow issue or similar because they offered it to me at a stonkingly good price - £1,100 when the asking price was £1,500.  I honestly thought I could probably sell it for something close to that so in a way it would have been a no-risk purchase.

I really liked everything about it except the scale length, which was the deal breaker for me. I just thought for this style of guitar I would prefer a Gibson scale length, and it would always niggle if I bought it.  But it's a great guitar if you like the longer scale.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10386
    I'll post pics tomorrow. I'm at work today.

Were the Starplayer TV's that cheap? 
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8040
    I had one years ago. Hated it.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    shaunm said:

PMing you my Paypal address - You owe me a new pair of boxers.

They're SUCH cool guitars.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10386
    I came home from work. The guitar was delivered hanging out of the box, with no packaging in what seems a very large box for the guitar.

The guitar is amazingly unharmed and I think it's very, very cool. Plays nicely, feels good. Thought there would be locking tuners, but they feel very nice regardless. Trem system is excellent, fit and finish looks flawless and it looks amazing. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom