Talk to me about Teles and neck humbuckers

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mesatelemesatele Frets: 27
    edited April 2020
    Some people might find this picture upsetting but I really like the Twisted Tele neck pick up so I did this ;
    https://i.imgur.com/fTz2QBu.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11078
    tFB Trader
    I prefer A3 tele neck pickups too.

My own favorite Tele neck position partners in order of preference are

1. Firebird ... chewy and yummy ... fat middle but Tele snarl.
    2.P90 ... just super versatile ... sounds more like a PAF equipped Tele than using a PAF
    3.Filtertron ... woody and surprisingly aggressive.
    4. Strat ... just that, a Strat neck pickup ... one of the best pickup sounds ever conceived.
    5.PAF ... suits Keith ... I don't mind it, but there are better things in a Tele neck.
    What do you think of the Keith blend mod @OilCityPickups ? And do you use 500k pots with a resistor for the firebird pup?
    I was lucky enough to work with the Rolling Stones and Keith's guitar tech on pickup winding a few years ago ... and while I can't talk specifics, I would say that Keith's rig is a lot less esoteric that some people would have you believe. I use a 500k for the Firebird ... yes :-)  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2589
    I prefer A3 tele neck pickups too.

My own favorite Tele neck position partners in order of preference are

1. Firebird ... chewy and yummy ... fat middle but Tele snarl.
    2.P90 ... just super versatile ... sounds more like a PAF equipped Tele than using a PAF
    3.Filtertron ... woody and surprisingly aggressive.
    4. Strat ... just that, a Strat neck pickup ... one of the best pickup sounds ever conceived.
    5.PAF ... suits Keith ... I don't mind it, but there are better things in a Tele neck.
    What do you think of the Keith blend mod @OilCityPickups ? And do you use 500k pots with a resistor for the firebird pup?
    I was lucky enough to work with the Rolling Stones and Keith's guitar tech on pickup winding a few years ago ... and while I can't talk specifics, I would say that Keith's rig is a lot less esoteric that some people would have you believe. I use a 500k for the Firebird ... yes :-)  
    A wow and a :+1: 
  • @OilCityPickups Ooooh, please talk specifics!

i use 250k pots in my AV ‘72 with an old ‘70’s WRHB and it balances well, no mud. My AV Hotrod ‘52 has the SD mini-hum in the neck and the ‘Keef’ blend mod and nails the Stones thing all day long. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    Again .. this technically is not a humbucker - but @deacci made a new pickup last year called the Hofmond which is the sweetest non- single coil I have ever heard in a Tele neck position..

https://www.facebook.com/DeacciCustomPickups/videos/453284028607021/
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1284
    mesatele said:
    Some people might find this picture upsetting but I really like the Twisted Tele neck pick up so I did this ;
    https://i.imgur.com/fTz2QBu.jpg

That’s twisted alright, but I can actually see that combination working very well, kind of like a P90 neck pickup with a humbucker on a Les Paul...

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • mesatelemesatele Frets: 27
    @Jaygee The bridge pickup is a BKP Stormy Monday. Its a nice balance.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 888
    @OilCityPickups Ooooh, please talk specifics!

i use 250k pots in my AV ‘72 with an old ‘70’s WRHB and it balances well, no mud. My AV Hotrod ‘52 has the SD mini-hum in the neck and the ‘Keef’ blend mod and nails the Stones thing all day long. 
    Standard 250k pots with the mini HB? 
    When using 500k pots what difference does using a resistor to the bridge make to the middle position? 
  • Yamaha77Yamaha77 Frets: 77
    edited April 2020
    Push/pull on a neck humbucker for series/parallel. Parallel would balance more with a standard 7k A5 sc Tele bridge pickup
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14734
    Zoolooter said:
    Standard 250k pots with the mini HB? 
    That is what Fender did in the Hot Rodded ‘52 Telecaster model. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • @Zoolooter Alpha 375k with the mini hum. 
  • The 375k pots were standard in the ‘52 Hotrod. I’ve had 7 of them over the years. 
    @Zoolooter Alpha 375k with the mini hum. 
    With a resistor to the bridge, or just standard wiring?

I'm putting together a 2nd tele and want to try a mini neck HB but reading many different opinions on pot values, and to use a resistor or not.
  • @Zoolooter No resistor. I also had one wired with 250k pots, it was slightly brighter. I might have some NOS 375k Alpha pots spare. 
    @Zoolooter No resistor. I also had one wired with 250k pots, it was slightly brighter. I might have some NOS 375k Alpha pots spare. 
    Thanks for the info. Ideally I'd like to source a bright. low output probably A2/A3 mini, so guess I'm best first trying the standard wiring with 250's - then try the 375's.

Just found this old thread.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/24602/tele-wiring-hb-neck-sc-bridge
  • I've never understood it.  I prefer single coils, but if I had a Tele with HBs, it'd have them in moth the neck & bridge.
    Don't let your mind post toastee - like a lot of my friends did!