SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: iMac 27" 2017-2020 model SORTED

What's Hot
lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
edited May 2020 in Studio & Rec £
In an effort to expand my post of a request for advice regarding the potential purchase of a 2nd hand iMac, I thought it might get more traction by bringing it to the source where the big fish swim on theFB, especially what with the increase in people recording/playing at home on the computers.
(other thread: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/178888/buying-a-used-imac-advice-please#latest)
As all my mac experience goes as far as my 2008 macbook pro, I'd really appreciate any info on the 27" models over the last few years, whether one is better than the other, where there is room for expansion, and what prices they go for 2nd hand.
I've noticed quite a few threads pop up of late so I believe this could help others make an informed decision or grab a bargain.

I plan to use my iMac for audio and video. I'm not interested in video games, more a comfortable lag-free experience. I will continue teaching online until september so 4 hour long stints without a break will be the norm.

My 2008 kept me going for 12 years so I expect the same from the new one.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I guess my first question is am I going to notice a big difference between the current model and a 2017 one?
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    lukedlb said:
    I guess my first question is am I going to notice a big difference between the current model and a 2017 one?
    have a look at the geekbench tests, they are quite insightful.
    rico said:
    lukedlb said:
    tbh, it's all a little over my head.
    I'm doing online teaching and my old macbook (2008) just gave up so I really need to buy one as soon as the lockdown is lightened. My wife is wondering about the logic of getting a used one from 2017, even though 1000 euros of saving seems a pretty good reason.
    The price is 1600 euros (1400 pounds) for an iMac 2017 27" 5k. 
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    Not sure if it helps but I have an iMac 27" 2012 that I thought was going to the bin due to a HD failure.
    I've since replaced that with a 0.5TB SSD and maxed out the ram memory to 32gb and for me it just functions as a brand new one (have the company macbook pro 2020 laying around) so maybe worth checking even older models?
    cbellanga said:
    Not sure if it helps but I have an iMac 27" 2012 that I thought was going to the bin due to a HD failure.
    I've since replaced that with a 0.5TB SSD and maxed out the ram memory to 32gb and for me it just functions as a brand new one (have the company macbook pro 2020 laying around) so maybe worth checking even older models?
    Exactly what I was wondering about today. Apple produce single entity products, where there no different than other pcs in that their pieces put together to run software. I was astonished by the change in my PowerBook once I changed the hd to ssd. Maxing a mini or maxing an old Mac Pro. 
    Thing is, I wouldn’t know where to begin. Once I can visit the Mac repair shops, I will inquire. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    lukedlb said:
    rico said:
    lukedlb said:
    tbh, it's all a little over my head.
    I'm doing online teaching and my old macbook (2008) just gave up so I really need to buy one as soon as the lockdown is lightened. My wife is wondering about the logic of getting a used one from 2017, even though 1000 euros of saving seems a pretty good reason.
    I am considering a similar move and asked a question on the macrumours forum - see the thread below:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/what-do-my-geekbench-scores-mean-vs-a-newer-model.2228804/?post=28325332#post-28325332 
    There’s a 2019 27” iMac with i9, 8gb of ram, 1tb SSD and vega 48 for 2600 euros or 2300. 
    Rather than simply have a decent computer in the house, I’m looking to use this professionally to produce video for online teaching, including YouTube, live streaming, and professional group and individual lessons. I’ll start another thread on what’s required and invite suggestions for gear. 
    The configuration on this iMac should help somewhat towards video and audio production. It will also support my voiceover work and encourage me to build a proper little studio for YouTube production and hq audio. Hopefully, it will encourage me to spend time recording music too. 
    Thoughts on this spec, anyone?
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 820
    I think it’s quite unbalanced. The processor is top of the line, but only 8gb RAM will hold back for video editing. If you can upgrade the RAM easily then great. If it’s soldered onto the motherboard look elsewhere. I’m coming from a PC background, but video editing is RAM intensive. Probably look 32gb to be safe. Might be different for iMac, but still think 8gb is a bit light for an expensive computer 
    Rich31k said:
    I think it’s quite unbalanced. The processor is top of the line, but only 8gb RAM will hold back for video editing. If you can upgrade the RAM easily then great. If it’s soldered onto the motherboard look elsewhere. I’m coming from a PC background, but video editing is RAM intensive. Probably look 32gb to be safe. Might be different for iMac, but still think 8gb is a bit light for an expensive computer 
    It does seem light. Although, when I was at the Mac repair shop for my MacBook Pro, the tech kept saying ram wasn’t so important for the issue with my computer, although it is from 2008. 
    I believe ram is easily accessible on a 2017 model so it should be the case with 2019, right?
    Yes, it is possible for anyone via a user friendly back panel:
    https://www.imore.com/can-you-upgrade-ram-27-inch-imac
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Just went to buy a super spec’d 2019 iMac. Card machine didn’t work and the box was for another model. They offered a 100 euros discount if I came back tomorrow. 
    Would that be a problem for guarantee or resale?
    From cex. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10542
    Just be careful spending a lot of money on a used iMac or any modern Apple product. Don't assume because the last one gave you ten years life the next one will ... ir might or it might want a board after 3 years and be BER. 
    It's natural to think in this way, people buy based on experience they have had on their previous Apple product but there's literally no common ground between a current model and the old one's. This goes for modern Windows PC's as well but the difference is a PC is a lot easier and cheaper to repair ... being common modular parts. 

I say this as an Apple fan, I have a Macbook, Macbook Pro and 3 iMac's but they are all older very reliable models. The modern stuff isn't built as well and is much harder to repair. So you need a good warranty, had a late 2017 Macbook Pro a couple of weeks ago that needs a new board ... gonna be £400 upwards assuming I can get one ... the board in my 2006 Macbook Pro is fine. Most people would assume a 2017 Macbook Pro would outlast a 2006 model ... some might but here's one that didn't. 

I suppose the best way I can put it is there are Marshall amps that are built very well and there are some more modern ones that are just terrible designs. @ICBM could probably state 2 models off the top of his head .... So saying my last Marshall lasted ten years I'm gonna buy another one is a pointless thing to say really, and it is with Apple and any other product unless the product hasn't changed in design . Which of course it has
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    Just be careful spending a lot of money on a used iMac or any modern Apple product. Don't assume because the last one gave you ten years life the next one will ... ir might or it might want a board after 3 years and be BER. 
    It's natural to think in this way, people buy based on experience they have had on their previous Apple product but there's literally no common ground between a current model and the old one's. This goes for modern Windows PC's as well but the difference is a PC is a lot easier and cheaper to repair ... being common modular parts. 

I say this as an Apple fan, I have a Macbook, Macbook Pro and 3 iMac's but they are all older very reliable models. The modern stuff isn't built as well and is much harder to repair. So you need a good warranty, had a late 2017 Macbook Pro a couple of weeks ago that needs a new board ... gonna be £400 upwards assuming I can get one ... the board in my 2006 Macbook Pro is fine. Most people would assume a 2017 Macbook Pro would outlast a 2006 model ... some might but here's one that didn't. 

I suppose the best way I can put it is there are Marshall amps that are built very well and there are some more modern ones that are just terrible designs. @ICBM could probably state 2 models off the top of his head .... So saying my last Marshall lasted ten years I'm gonna buy another one is a pointless thing to say really, and it is with Apple and any other product unless the product hasn't changed in design . Which of course it has
    When I think of my vintage amps, I am very cautious of anything new. And as you said, I wrongly expect the same reliability of my 2008 mbp and a new Mac today. 
    The positive points regarding purchase is the iMac belonged to a shop assistant at cex, who updated to a Mac Pro. It's an early 2019 so it still has a year of guarantee plus the 2 year coverage from cex (although I'm curious to understand exactly what that covers). With voucher and discount, I can get this 2019 27" iMac i9 8gb ram, 1tb ssd and vega 48 for £2200, the price of a base price iMac. When necessary, I'll bump the ram to 32gb. 
    I imagine the build of an iMac pro is more reliable. Too much for this fella. 
    My 2008 mbp is at the repair shop. After cleaning the dust that had blocked one fan, it blew a chip under a stress test. 
    I got the i9 iMac. Got a little extra off the price and was happy to find the keyboard wasn’t Italian but American and with the numeric pad. 
    Next step: a video camera. Blackmagic certainly look the treat. 
    Thanks everyone for helping me through this.