New SLASH/MYLES KENNEDY album (first single)

What's Hot
OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
So the title track of the new Slash/Myles Kennedy album's out for streaming. It's the first single. 

Glad to see nothing's changed here, on top form. May be just as good (or better than) the Apocalyptic Love album.

Linkage: 

Enjoy! Cos I sure did... I think they already set this world on fire!
Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    Nicky Horne claims it's one of the best rock albums ever (in his opinion)
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Interesting. I like it. I thought that I would. But I think that the rest of the album will be better than this. For example, last time, they released You're A Lie as the first single and then the album came out and they had better songs that didn't make singles (Apocalyptic Love, One Last Thrill, Carolina, Shots Fired, Halo, Standing in the Sun, Crazy Life, Anastasia)... although I absolutely love Bad Rain and that made a single so... 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I really wish I could get passed that guys voice, it just really grates with me. Apart from that yeah I like it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3354

Not bad.

I like Myles' voice, and I know he can cut it live, but his voice on this sounds quite different to that in Alter Bridge. He's almost taking on some elements of Axl Rose's voice.

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10426
    Kebabkid said:
     He's almost taking on some elements of Axl Rose's voice when he could sing.
    Edited for accuracy.  ;)
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17919
    tFB Trader
    That guitar in the intro sounds like it was recorded in a tin can.

Myles Kennedy sounds like he's doing an Axl impression.
  • funkyfrazfunkyfraz Frets: 93
    Sounds good! But I really dont like the backing vocals at the chorus. sounds abit chipmunky.
    I don't know why people so often expect Myles to sing like he does in AB on the Slash stuff. It's a totally different vibe to AB! I don't think Myles contributes to the writing process I think it's mostly Slash who writes the albums and then the band just do their thing on it. It's not a bad thing. It just shows off a different side of his voice. If you listen to him on AB, Slash and Mayfield Four (his first band) then he's got 3 really quite different things going on across those 9 records combined alone! And when you listen to him play acoustic and sing solo, another side again! Then the guest spots he's done... Like Gov't Mule's last album Shout! he sings on one of the songs on disc 2, and again it's a very different vibe! Yeah maybe he's got a bit of a Marmite voice but I think he's got a diverse one at that!
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I don't really like his voice in Alter Bridge either! I've tried I really have as the material's good.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 699
    Sorry, Myles Kennedy is just doing a *bad* Axl impression. He is so much better in Alter Bridge, his voice is just nasty in the Conspirators.

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    See, I really like his voice and I'll be seeing them live in December too, so It's one of my most anticipated albums ;) the wasn't a duff track on Apocalyptic Love IMO.
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @Hertz32 ...yeahhhh? You even like the 'ballads' that are kinda not even ballads? I thought they were just a bit like... they withheld something. Remember Starlight on the first Slash album?! That was a monster song with a ballad edge to it so when we got ballads on Apocalyptic Love that just didn't touch that, I was kinda disappointed.

Anyway. Never mind. Alter Bridge... MK has 'the voice' for that kinda stuff. Think "In Loving Memory", "Shed My Skin", "Watch Over You" and "Before Tomorrow Comes" ;)
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Yeah, but Slash is a monster riffs man ;) Starlight was written mostly by Myles AFAIK
    I'm expecting more tracks like bad rain and Back from Cali (BFC Was MONSTER, both acoustic and plugged)
    He has a very blues rock voice yeah, and it's one that compliments the more sedate and ballad-y tracks for sure.
    Not to say he doesn't do VERY well with hard rock. 

'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • Alright I just picked up my copy of the album today... Overall, the riffs are there. The musicianship is there. MK's vocals are on top form. I think my criticism of the album as a whole would be that where there are 'weaker' songs, they are typically "wordy", if that makes sense? Like you're constantly being sung at to compensate for something. There's too many lyrics. It overloads, gets clogged up and leaves the riffery and the singalongability behind. I think that'd be true of songs like "Automatic Overdrive", and "Bent to Fly" 

On the other hand you've got songs like "Too Far Gone" and "Beneath the Savage Sun" where that's OK, and it works, because they fit a really punishing riff in there around it and it slows down a bit (in BTSS) so the words can kinda snake around the music and give it a good squeeze!

I'm not all the way through the album yet. There's some great songs. There's some hit and some miss. But overall if you enjoyed Apocalyptic Love I'd say you've got more than enough to satisfy and keep you busy for a while in 17 tracks!

9/10 ;) 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7059
    Off to see them in concert in December, cant wait!!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom