Is there a splitable humbucker that can do a good impression of.....

What's Hot
StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
A tele neck pickup or p90
It doesn't have to be a humbucker but must fit humbucker sized routes oh and in gold :D

anyone have any ideas?
Thank you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2949
    It's high output and made for heavy stuff but my Bare Knuckle Warpig bridge pickup splits really nicely into a fat singlecoil tone - I'd imagine the neck is just as good!
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    TTBZ said:
    It's high output and made for heavy stuff but my Bare Knuckle Warpig bridge pickup splits really nicely into a fat singlecoil tone - I'd imagine the neck is just as good!

I play heavy bass but funky groovy guitar so that may not be the ideal pickup, but thanks! 
  • Was going to suggest a SD P-rail but they’re not gold and also pig ugly...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17869
    tFB Trader
    Would you not just get a humbucker sized P90?

You could get something like an oil city Brass Knuckle which is a humbucker made of two singles as I understand it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73010
    P90 - yes, Seymour Duncan P-Rails. Fits a humbucker rout, but doesn't come in gold.

Tele neck - yes, any medium output (DC resistance around 10-12K) covered humbucker won't be too far off, preferably split to the 'slug' coil - which means that you may need to fit it reversed like Peter Green's Les Paul to get it into the right position.

Both in one pickup - no. Or not unless you could get one with two different coils, the screw one wound much hotter to try to get closer to the P90 sound.

Maybe ask @OilCityPickups if that's something that could be made specially - bearing in mind that either sound will only ever be an approximation.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

@monquixote ; I want the option to have both via push pull si really a p 90 only will not give me the full bucker sound :)

@ICBM I think P rails may be the way to go or paybe the Fluence?
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3507
    It doesn't have to be a humbucker but must fit humbucker sized routes oh and in gold :D

anyone have any ideas?
    Thank you

Fits a HB route, has 2 pickups - 1 Tele Neck & Mini HB.

he does another one

P90 & Strat

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

anyone have any ideas?
    Thank you

he does another one

P90 & Strat

Now thats perfect!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73010

he does another one

P90 & Strat
    I didn't know about those - the MiniHB/Tele one is going to be pretty close to dead-on. The P90/Strat one probably won't be quite as close to the P90 sound since a lot of that relies on the physical size of the bobbin and the double magnet arrangement, but I don't doubt it will sound good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Have a word with alegree - his Chameleon might do the job. It's what I'm planning to put in the neck of my Keefcaster.
    I'm gonna go for an alegree p90 they look cool anyone got a discount code at all :D @Alegree ;
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 667
    tFB Trader
    That's exactly what the Chameleon is.
    No discount codes at the moment, I'm overwhelmed as it is.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    Alegree said:
    That's exactly what the Chameleon is.
    No discount codes at the moment, I'm overwhelmed as it is.
    @Alegree I couldn't afford the chameleon so went for the desert dew instead 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3507
    I'm gonna go for an alegree p90 they look cool anyone got a discount code at all :D @Alegree ;
    Are you going for a Alegree HB sized P90?

I have 2 of his Desert Dew's and they are my favourite pickups by quite a margin.

IMO, there's no harm in asking Alex at Alegree what he'd recommend or whether he could draw up a HB sized splittable hum cancelling P90.
  • Tadragh1Tadragh1 Frets: 70

he does another one

P90 & Strat

That's ingenious - good to see some creativity in that business. What a neat idea!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14734
    maybe the Fluence?
    Voice 1 on the Fluence Classic N is supposed to be P.A.F.-ish.

Voice 2 has a dual frequency peak frequency going on. Through overdriven valve amplification, this has the honk that I love about P90s. Clean, it does the warm/woody Jazz thing.

On some models, it is possible obtain a coil split sound by means of a DP3T on/off/on switch.

CAUTION: Fluence Classic humbuckers do their best impersonation of Gibson instruments in host guitars with a glued-in neck and stud mounted bridge/tailpiece hardware.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    @Funkfingers thank you!