70s Les Paul Custom no serial number

What's Hot
slowpilgrimslowpilgrim Frets: 134
edited April 2020 in Guitar
Hi all,

I've been in contact with someone about a 70s LPC, and rather alarmingly there is no serial number on the headstock. In the picture you can see that the neck is definitely a 3-piece, so era checks out but just wondering if this is something I should be concerned about? Could potentially be a re-finish.

Also apparently the hardware is all original but was 're-dipped' by a previous owner - is this a done thing?

Cheers!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    Thats certainly a re-finish.
    When logic and proportion
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73037
    That's a '76 (ish) - they had the serial number in an oval decal, which you can see the outline of. Looking at the paint chip it was either cherry sunburst or possibly wine red originally, and has been refinished black over the top of the decal. If you were very careful it might be possible to remove the finish and find the number.

The tailpiece has also been replaced, as has the neck pickup - or at least its cover which has the wrong shaped corners, but probably the whole thing - and all the pickup mounting screws... so not exactly all original.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • slowpilgrimslowpilgrim Frets: 134
    Thanks guys, can't believe how much you can pick up from some images!
  • MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    edited April 2020
    ^what @ICBM said. Theres definitely a serial number in there at the bottom of the oval if you look carefully between the d & g string tuners

I'm hardly an expert but those tuners are correct for that period & the the hardware looks kosher at first glance.
     *edit, looks like an old refinish to my eyes
    Looks like a fairly decent one!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14762
    edited April 2020 tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    That's a '76 (ish) - they had the serial number in an oval decal, which you can see the outline of. Looking at the paint chip it was either cherry sunburst or possibly wine red originally, and has been refinished black over the top of the decal. If you were very careful it might be possible to remove the finish and find the number.

The tailpiece has also been replaced, as has the neck pickup - or at least its cover which has the wrong shaped corners, but probably the whole thing - and all the pickup mounting screws... so not exactly all original.
    You got in before me, but yes I endorse the comments above especially the oval decal - For 2/3 years Gibson had a weird serial number sequence, but it is accurate to date a guitar and far better than the earlier 6 digit system from the mid late 60's on-wards and proceeds the 8 digit number
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7216
    ICBM said:

That's very impressive, deserves more wiss

(how does one pluralise wis?)
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    Perhaps it used to have a sticker over it?
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Only us old-timers will get that now ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    ICBM said:
    Less of the ‘old’ please. I was 56 recently and am struggling to come to terms with it.... :)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    edited April 2020
    ICBM said:
    Only us old-timers will get that now .
    Less of the ‘old’ please. I was 56 recently and am struggling to come to terms with it....
    ICBM said:
    Less of the ‘old’ please. I was 56 recently and am struggling to come to terms with it....
    Just a youngster!! I remember (vaguely) when I was your age...a long long time ago in a galaxy far away!    :/

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10405
    ICBM said:

I'll always remember where I was when I first read that thread. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    ICBM said:

I'll always remember where I was when I first read that thread. 

I’m relatively young and I still have a sticker!!!!!

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12510
    The “redipped” thing means the hardware has been cleaned up and then covered in clear lacquer to stop it tarnishing or flaking off any further. The plating isn’t in that bad a shape for a 70s guitar, assuming it’s all original. I’ve seen them where’s theres virtually no gold left at all. 
    boogieman said:
    The “redipped” thing means the hardware has been cleaned up and then covered in clear lacquer to stop it tarnishing or flaking off any further. The plating isn’t in that bad a shape for a 70s guitar, assuming it’s all original. I’ve seen them where’s theres virtually no gold left at all. 
    I don't see any evidence of any 're-dipping', just changed parts. The tailpiece and the neck pickup cover are clearly not original, even if things like the screws and strap buttons don't bother you.

• slowpilgrimslowpilgrim Frets: 134
    ICBM said:

Bang on... got some pics from him that confirm...

Interestingly the neck pickup doesn’t look as wrong in that pic. It’s still got a remarkably different degree of tarnishing compared to the bridge one though.

Clearly a very crude refinish over the top of the original too.

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5108
    Voxman said:
    ICBM said:
    ICBM said:
    Just a youngster!! I remember (vaguely) when I was your age...a long long time ago in a galaxy far away!    :/

Yeah you’re but a yoof, I was 65 last month, and the worst of it is that I still have to wait another year to get me pension!  :o
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/