Soooo push pull pot.....

What's Hot
StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
So I'm changing a splitable neck humbucker for an alegree p 90 so the pot will be no longer splitting a humbucker, any ideas what I should use the push pull for? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4214
    Phase ?
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    @sweepy is that easy to do? 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4214
    lots of wiring diagrams online, check out Stewmac's site or Seymour Duncan, lots of resources there
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2206
    edited April 2020
    Blower switch, pickup direct to output?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    Killswitch!
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 851
    skunkwerx said:
    Killswitch!

On a push-pull pot you'd struggle to do stutter-y stuff which is the best part of killswitches...

Not sure what guitar the push-pull is currently in, so it's hard to give suggestions.
    Series/Parallel switch if it's a 2-pickup guitar. if it's a 3 pickup guitar I'd go for neck-on mod.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5001
    You could use it to switch in an extra cap.

I have one on a doubleneck to act as a kill-switch for the guitar neck, so it's quiet and the pickups are out of circuit when playing the (top) bass neck.
    skunkwerx said:
    Killswitch!
    I hav a kill switch on my bass, love it but as above it won't work for a push pull 
    prowla said:

I have one on a doubleneck to act as a kill-switch for the guitar neck, so it's quiet and the pickups are out of circuit when playing the (top) bass neck.
    I like that idea! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73010
    If it must work on that pickup, either phase (you’ll need to make sure the new pickup comes with 2-conductor+shield cable) or bass-cut (which is very simple and can be useful).

If not, a blower switch or a tone switch like a ‘fixed wah’ or something.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    If it must work on that pickup, either phase (you’ll need to make sure the new pickup comes with 2-conductor+shield cable) or bass-cut (which is very simple and can be useful).

If not, a blower switch or a tone switch like a ‘fixed wah’ or something,

I was thinking a blower, I just don't want the push pull to go to waste,

I have a feeling the new pickup will be 2 wire as its a standard p 90 (my all time fav pickup) 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5001
    prowla said:

I like that idea! 

Of course, Rickenbacker have the push-pull tone pot to switch in a series high-pass cap on some instruments.

PRS do some cap switching stuff too - a .22uF cap in the tone circuit and a 2nd .22 one which can be switched in to make it .44uF (ie. pretty much the same as a .47, as used on other guitars).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73010

I have a feeling the new pickup will be 2 wire as its a standard p 90 (my all time fav pickup) 
    A standard P90 has single-conductor cable, but some makers do them (either stock or as an option) with 2+shield so solving phase issues is easier. If you want a phase switch you need one of these.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27903
    ICBM said:

I've used blower switches before - really handy option if you never need to just switch from current vol/tone settings immediately to "full on" - bypass the vol & tone controls and just send the pickup's out direct to the jack.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    ICBM said:

I've used blower switches before - really handy option if you never need to just switch from current vol/tone settings immediately to "full on" - bypass the vol & tone controls and just send the pickup's out direct to the jack.
    Lots to ponder then! Thanks