Parlor / Small Bodied Guitars

What's Hot
I've had a dreadnought for 20 odd years and tbh I've barely played it after getting into electrics not long after.

Part of the reason is I find the big body quite awkward, so I find myself looking at Parlor style guitars and thinking

1. Ooh purty
2. Actually maybe that would suit me more. 

Now, I know that different style acoustics sound quite different from each other but for a ham-fisted strummer and occasional finger picker who plays entirely for his own pleasure in a home environment a parlor is going to sound absolutely fine, right? 

Now, with that out the way, any recommendations at the budget end of the market? The Gretsch Jim Dandy looks great but is pushing £200 these days. Are those £89 Vintage Statesboro guitars any good? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I’ve had 2 Statesboros. I kept the 000. It’s pretty much a joy to use. All laminate mahogany do bear that in mind, won’t be quite as sparkly as Spruce. 11/16 nut and C neck. 
    Paul Brett knows his guitars and he got this bang on. It’s light as a feather and very lively
    Better than the Jim in my opinion and zero chance of buyers remorse at 90 quid.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4686
    I have been looking at a wee Parlor guitar to have by the couch, 
    anyone got any opinions on these 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/recording_king_rps_7_ts.htm
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 639

I'd personally pay the extra £50 to get the model with a solid top. That can make the difference between an instrument and a toy.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12068
    IMO most small bodied acoustics sound boxy and awful, only really good ones sound acceptable to me
    In fact, many high-end ones sound awful and boxy too
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2578
    Andy79 said:
    I’ve had 2 Statesboros. I kept the 000. It’s pretty much a joy to use. All laminate mahogany do bear that in mind, won’t be quite as sparkly as Spruce. 11/16 nut and C neck. 
    Paul Brett knows his guitars and he got this bang on. It’s light as a feather and very lively
    How C is the neck @andy79 ? A nice rounded C handful or more regular/modern C?
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 666
    I've got an all solid mahogany tanglewood parlour, tw133? next to the sofa, was <£200 when I bought it probably 5 years ago, and I love it. Sounds great.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3111
    I thought the Sigma was pretty good for the money when I was trying out 12th fret parlors.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Andy79 said:
    How C is the neck @andy79 ? A nice rounded C handful or more regular/modern C?
    Yeah it’s kinda regular C.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4056

I bought one of these for lockdown couch and garden entertainment. I don’t usually play acoustic so it’s nice to have around for a change, and well worth the £119.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4686

I bought one of these for lockdown couch and garden entertainment. I don’t usually play acoustic so it’s nice to have around for a change, and well worth the £119.
    I ended up buying the next one up the rp9 and it’s great wee guitar to have lying around next to the couch. Only had it a couple of days but so far it’s great fun 
  • BadnotesBadnotes Frets: 48
    I actually bought myself a vintage parlor guitar off the back of this thread, and I am really really impressed with it for the money, sounds decent and is really easy to play. 

http://imgur.com/gallery/UbuXb8R ;
  • rossirossi Frets: 1711
    I am looking at parlours at present in lock down though was sort of dreaming before ,so a useful thread cheers.